Insight Engineer - Product Design
The “Insight Engineer – Product Design” will be based in the UK with regular travel aboard to: - Assist and support the local category team members in the market - Develop and support category understanding of the local market requirements Examples of which may include understanding the consumer and product requirements of the market, trends within the market and specification recommendations for future Dyson products. They will be expected work with the Commercial teams to embed engineering knowledge, train-out existing and new technologies across the local market team and engage with locally relevant sources to drive accreditation, certification and endorsement. They will also be required to embed market knowledge into Dyson system and engineering design, through multiple cross teams within Dyson and their personal skill set to implement this.
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology). The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Over 3,500 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. From 2016, our HQ will begin doubling its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Our Design engineering team is the idea factory of Dyson. It’s where we took the bag out of the vacuum. The blades out of a fan. And the heat out of hand dryers. With free-flowing curiosity and creativity, ideas are never in short supply. The key is deciding which ones could change the world and which should, for now, be shelved. This is done by the New Product Innovation team, who pass on the best ideas to New Product Development. Sketching, prototyping, testing, failing and refining follow. It can take months, even years. But those ideas that make it are big. The ones that transform markets.
- Designers could be expected to initiate new product concepts and ideas and identify market opportunities from a blank sheet of paper.
- Take responsibility for creating and owning vision specification and business case for new product concepts, including development budget and running costs.
- Within teams, take a proactive approach in the generation of ideas – host brainstorms, gather research, select and present ideas and concepts to senior management.
- Champion great design to produce products that meet all performance and functional criteria.
- Work seamlessly with research teams to utilise the wealth of technical skills in research teams to get best value from Dyson technologies.
- Take an active, hands-on role to ensure that all engineering problems are resolved thoroughly.
- Be responsible for the approach, quality and accuracy of the development team’s work.
- Use established Dyson development processes, good engineering practice and discipline to deliver a fully resolved product assembly to the correct standards.
- Challenge and develop Dyson engineering practices to continuously improve design quality.
- Clear presentation of technical information and supporting documentation to ensure accurate hand over either to other teams within the UK or Far East.
- Communicate between all teams within RDD and Global Operations to ensure effective and timely input.
- Regular design reviews with the Design Manager and Concept Design Director.
- Design reviews with James Dyson and/or Executive, as required.
- Day to day operational management for allocated Design Engineers/Graduate Design Engineers including performance management, people development and all other line manager responsibilities.
- Pro-activeness and ambition to deliver significant value to the category
- Regular reporting against a pre-defined list of category missions
- Ability to perform in a highly autonomous role, in a foreign country
- Outstanding communication skills; liaising with local public, non-Dyson technology industry and feeding back intelligence to the Personal Care Category leadership
- A proven ability to define, plan and ‘get the job done’ against stretching resource or time constraints
- A high degree of pragmatism and flexibility in rapid changes of focus
- Excellent engineering understanding balanced with a strong commercial awareness
- An ability to understand and think strategically about technology trends
- The ability to speak multiple languages would be beneficial
- A degree in a relevant engineering or science discipline or equivalent.
- Technical and personal credibility to work effectively in cross-functional design teams throughout the project development cycle.
- Previous experience designing manufactured products.
- Knowledge and understanding of multiple tooling and manufacturing techniques.
- Proven experience of delivering robust design solutions on time, to specification and within cost and budget constraints.
- A creative and considered approach to problem solving, following clear design processes.
- Practical and methodical design development through prototyping and testing.
- Ability to plan ahead, prioritise tasks and coordinate with the work of others.
- Good commercial awareness with pragmatic approach to balance cost and value.
- Excellent communication, problem solving and analytical skills
- Self starter - ability to work independently.
- Ability to travel to Far East for project transfer/production requirement desirable.
Closing Date – 16th of May 2017
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.