Lead Engineer - Cockpit
Malmesbury is tucked away in countryside famous for the landmarks of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. A charming Wiltshire market town doesn’t sound like the place to develop world leading technology, but it’s just right for us. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent–minded.
As part of the £2.5 billion investment, Dyson acquired a 517 acre plot in Hullavington. This former Royal Air Force base, just five miles from Dyson HQ, will increase our UK footprint tenfold. We’ll be turning old hangars into futuristic labs and workspaces – creating a campus to rival those in Silicon Valley.
We’ve begun work on a battery electric vehicle – that’s no secret. It has remained our ambition to solve the worldwide problem of air pollution for nearly 30 years. Now that we have the ability to bring all our technologies together into a single product, we’re able to solve this problem at the source.
For now, it’s all about finding the right people to make it all happen for 2020
• Define component/system level targets based a combination of programme attribute targets, legal requirements, specific/generic design guidelines, and industry standard/best practice
• Presentation of design concepts to management
• Concept and supplier selection via structured process
• Ensure failure mode avoidance (FMA) tools and processes (e.g. DFMEA) are applied to all components/systems
• Lead the management of external suppliers to deliver attribute targets
• Lead engineering decision making towards issue resolution
• Control the development of CAD data level maturity and compatibility via the “Virtual Series”
• Releasing of finished designs through internal releasing system to agreed timing milestones
• Ownership of the Final Engineering Signoff (FESO) process and documents
• Control the component Design Verification Plan (DVP) - both internal and supplier testing
• Manage the design to financial targets – investment and material cost
• Ensure timely delivery of components to support pre-series build
• Monitoring and updating of components through the internal change management system.
• Monitor and input to quality maturation process via pre-production builds and quality sign off process
- Must be able to learn quickly and integrate into a successful and dynamic team
- Experienced in delivering relevant automotive component / system within OEM / Tier 1
- Engineering degree in relevant discipline
- Knowledge of NX / TeamCenter would be an advantage
- Proficient in the use of office PC packages.
- Driving licence to be able to drive and assess company / comparator vehicles