Legal Compliance and Ethics Counsel Americas
Starting salary will be determined based on experience and credentials.
Chicago, IL USA
This role requires a bright, tenacious and pro-active individual to help build out Dyson’s global Legal Compliance and Ethics function within the Americas, and provide the business with advice in respect of legal compliance and ethics risk areas. This is a role that provides an excellent opportunity to develop your skills and make a real contribution as part of a dynamic, global and passionate team.
Dyson sells products in 71 countries, and it employs almost 6,000 people globally, one third of whom are engineers and scientists. The face of Dyson is changing rapidly. Three years ago 80% of Dyson’s business was full-sized vacuum cleaners. Today its digital motor powers cordless vacuums, robots, hand dryers, bladeless fans, humidifiers, purifiers and heaters around the world. This is just the beginning; we just launched our new Supersonic Hair Dryer and have a plan to launch many other new products over the next 3 years.
Counsel is required to support Dyson’s global Legal Compliance and Ethics function in the Americas region.
This new function has a vision - “A global compliance and ethics function focused on empowering Dyson and its people to do the right thing while enabling robust and sustainable business growth” - we need you to help us achieve this vision.
Dyson is a large multinational technology company with a turnover of $5bn and a global staff of 10,000.
At Dyson we are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We’re creative, collaborative, practical and enthusiastic. But most of all we’re hugely passionate about what we do.
Dyson offers a unique opportunity for talented individuals to invent, design and develop market leading products for the global market. Our inventiveness and attention to excellence in everything we do extend into all of our business areas including the new Legal Compliance and Ethics function.
What we will need you to do:
- Collaborate with the Head of Legal Compliance and Ethics and the functional team to engineer and implement effective strategies to achieve our vision.
- Build strong relationships with all functions across the Americas region and at Group.
- Support and conduct legal compliance and ethics investigations.
- Provide expert and solution focussed advice across the range of compliance and ethics risks helping the business to navigate complex issues and do the right thing.
- Provide input into the creation of Policies Procedures and Guidance and a governance structure for their creation.
- Devise and deliver training programs.
- Maintain an up to date and comprehensive knowledge of developments within the legal compliance and ethics risk areas.
- Manage external counsel where appropriate, ensuring compliance with Dyson’s cost management processes.
- Travel within the Americas region and on some occasions to the UK.
This is what we need you to have:
- A demonstrable commitment to professionalism, pride and integrity in all aspects of your work.
- A passion for legal compliance and ethics
- A good understanding of legal compliance and ethics risk areas.
- Intellectual agility and confidence to learn quickly on the job and therefore deal with issues outside your current experience and skill set.
- Excellent communication, collaboration and interpersonal skills.
- An ability to work effectively in a fast paced and dynamic environment.
- Evidence of being a self-starter who is good at identifying problems and proactively remedying them.
- Confidence to work autonomously.
- Courage to challenge individuals irrespective of seniority.
It would be helpful if you also had some of these:
- The ability to communicate in a business environment in Spanish.
- Experience of leading compliance and ethics investigations.
- Excellent awareness of the role and position of a compliance and ethics function within a multi-national business.
- Previous involvement with project and change management.
- Skilled in creating Policies Procedures and Guidance and input into building a governance structure for their creation
- Experience of working within a global team.
- Demonstrable subject matter expertise in one or more of the following risk areas:
- Anti-Bribery and Corruption
- Sanctions and Trade Controls
- Data Protection and Privacy