Senior Legal Counsel (General Commercial Lead)
Competitive Salary + Bonus, Pension, 27 Days Holiday, Free Onsite Gym
This role requires a technically excellent and pro-active lawyer with at least 5+ years PQE to provide commercial and contract law advice to Dyson’s Group functions. Reporting into the Senior Legal Counsel for Group Services, this role provides an excellent opportunity to develop your skills and contribution as part of a dynamic and ambitious in-house legal team. You will be responsible for the management of a more junior lawyer.
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology).
Dyson learnt an early lesson in the value of legal might, winning a gruelling battle against Hoover when it infringed our early cyclone technology patents. Our in-house legal teams have been at the forefront of Dyson ever since. From the information security experts and IP teams doggedly protecting our ideas. To the commercial lawyers and procurement specialists who solve our toughest business challenges across the world.
- Day to day management of a junior lawyer and provision of development, support and performance management to them
- Collaborate with other members of the legal team and the business to devise efficient strategies for the provision of legal services to the business that are fit for future growth and match Dyson’s blueprint for success.
- Provide expert, ethical and pragmatic advice and support on commercial and contract issues across the business, helping the business navigate complex issues with an output and delivery focus.
- Proactively identify arising risk areas and work with the business to develop risk mitigation solutions.
- Draft and negotiate contracts with suppliers and customers.
- Support and advise on tender processes across the business, particularly in IT, Finance and on capital equipment projects.
- Manage contract disputes with third parties.
- Deliver relevant legal training programmes.
- Proactively identify opportunities for growth, leveraging best practice and insight from within the legal environment.
- At least 5 years’ post qualification experience.
- A sound understanding of all aspects of commercial law and an ability to apply that knowledge pragmatically in a business environment.
- Excellent communication, collaboration and interpersonal skills.
- Experience of managing matters with a cross border and foreign jurisdiction element, and managing external legal counsel.
- Good awareness of the role of Legal in business decisions and the ability to actively contribute in the taking of those decisions.
- Comfort with autonomy and willingness to challenge the status quo.
- Confidence and technical ability to be able to deal with issues outside your experience and the ability to learn quickly on the job.
- Highly adept at managing change, expansion and project management.
- Evidence of being a self-starter who is good at identifying problems and proactively remedying them, and who demonstrates professionalism, pride and integrity in all aspects of your work.
- An ability to work successfully with a minimum level of supervision in a fast-paced, constantly changing environment.
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.