Manager of External Research
Dyson are looking for a Technology Scout to investigate and promote new technology discoveries across the UK and Europe.
Dyson products strive to be at the leading edge of technology. Through unique strategic partnerships with global top universities and leading businesses, we gain foresight of up and coming technologies. The technical research team aims to exploit this knowledge to design state-of-the-art products allowing us to differentiate our products from the competition and be ahead of the times. Dyson is expanding into several new and exciting product categories and is positioning itself as a technology company, confirmed by the release of the 360 Eye robotic vacuum cleaner and recent acquisition of Sakti3 a solid state battery technology company. Successful applicants for this role will be part of the team driving these products and others forward.
It takes real ingenuity to find new ways of doing things. Smarter technologies. Lighter, stronger materials. And quieter, cleaner power systems. Our Research & Science teams – scientists, mechanical engineers and specialists across each of product category – are the experimenters and risk-takers behind Dyson problem-solving. Whether it’s in-house development, sourcing outside technology partners, or driving collaboration with partner universities, we lead the way in finding the next generation of Dyson technology. Which is why anyone can find themselves presenting to James Dyson himself.
Reporting to the Director of External Research who is located in the United States, you will join and manage a team of technology scouts and project relationship people responsible for identifying, evaluating and investing in external technologies and driving University relationships across the UK and Europe. This position is fundamentally designed to enhance our innovative approaches at making things that work better. A successful applicant will be expected to manage a small team and develop a strong network in the UK and Europe with local Entrepreneurs, Venture Capital, and Universities. You will develop good rapport with not only external organisations but with the internal research and development teams, maintaining a clear understanding of their needs. The applicant must have excellent written and verbal English skills and must be familiar with developing proposals for executive considerations. Importantly, Manager of External Research will be supporting the external innovation pipeline process, to move companies and projects through to an end game of intercept, or to find ways and reasons why the projects should be shut down quickly as not to waste time and resources across the development teams. You will have opportunities to work with Directors across New Product Innovation (NPI) and Research, Design & Development (RDD) to gain agreement and direction of external innovation pipeline based on the strategic directions of Dyson. You will work with the Director to formulate plans and visions to take projects forward based on a flexible pipeline process and generating proposals that make sense. Travel expectations for this role will be minimal, approximately 15-20%, which should be containable with day trips. The incoming manager will need to control the UK/Europe External Research Team’s time and priorities to travel efficiently and gain value from trips. A key metric for our team is to have external technologies to be intercepted across the Dyson Technology Categories, the goal of at least one per category. The role will include line management responsibility of two Technology Scouts.
Desirable experience includes:
- A strong technical background
- Experience of managing a team
- Broad knowledge and enthusiasm for science and technology
- Experience in building business cases and project proposals
- Ability to identify technology matches and researching associated information
- Experience in dealing with intellectual property and contract negotiations
- Strong networking and interpersonal skills
- Flexibility to travel on occasion
- Managing a team and project processes
- Assisting in the personal development of junior team members
Essential behavioural skills:
- The ability to take a leadership position within a team and project with little direction
- Good analytical ability and attention to detail
- Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal format
- Ability to adapt or generate imaginative and innovative ideas, in line with core Dyson values
- To be able to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams in an often high-pressure, competitive environment in an organised manner
- Excellent team working skills
- Demonstrates leadership qualities with potential for growth inside and outside the walls of Dyson
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.