Coating Team Leader (Materials )
In 2000, Dyson moved production from Malmesbury to Malaysia to be closer to our supply chains and open up international growth. The small team of 10 has now grown to almost 1,200 – forming Dyson’s second biggest global hub. Located in the exhilarating industrial heart of Johor, it’s also home to RDD, IT, operations, finance, creative and HR.
The RDD facility is central to our plans to launch 100 new machines in the next four years. To meet these ambitions, we recently expanded the site to 30,000m², with 50 advanced technology labs and 700 new engineers. In the Dyson world, there’s no more exciting place to be.
For a Dyson engineer, breaking the rules is part of the job. It’s what makes Dyson machines different. But the next great Dyson idea can’t change the world from a lab. To ensure our machines can be sold, there are some rules we need to stick to. From reviewing initial concepts to testing final components in our accredited test laboratories, our Compliance and Approvals team is a critical voice during the design phase. By making sure Dyson machines are never kept off the shelf by global standards and legislation, they play vital role in supporting Dyson’s growth.
To lead the Coating Team in various tasks, which shall include in particular, but not limited to the following:
- Supporting product coating development for various new projects.
- Supporting in paint improvement activities/projects.
- Developing new validations for coating system.
- Sourcing and approving new coatings for cost reduction projects.
- Primary contact within Dyson SEA & UK for coating advice.
- Support to CM for coating processes and manufacturing.
- Coating colour matching and approval in SEA.
- Work with coating suppliers, paint applicators and CM to ensure coating consistency and quality.
- Review and approval of coating specifications.
- Coordinate X projects and Current support team for coating failure analysis (FTIR, DSC, TGA, XRF, PAH test) by external laboratories.
- Candidate must possess a Bachelor's Degree in Chemical Engineering, Material Science, Polymer Science, Metallurgy Engineering or Mechanical Engineering.
At least 5 years’ experience in coating and materials-related industry involving process design, material coating research, material coating process development or material coating testing is required for this position.
Excellent understanding in coating chemistry and the substrate mechanical properties of plastics, metals and elastomers.
Good understanding in Statistical Process Analysis (SPC), working with hand-on experienced / sound knowledge in laboratory instruments such as XRF, GPC, FTIR, DSC etc. and mechanical testing for metal.
Good understanding in European Directive Restriction of Hazardous Substances (RoHS), Proposition 65 Substances of California state, CEPA, Japan for law of harmful substances & SVHC List of REACH etc.
Highly motivated, internally driven individual with good communication skills, good planning and organizing capabilities and able to work within a team.
Able to lead the Coating Team to achieve duties and responsibilities.
Able to work independently without supervision.
Must possess character of high integrity.
Possess excellent communication skills in English and computer literate.
Applicants must be willing to work in Senai.
Applicants should be Malaysian citizens
- Previous experience in project/program management.
- Knowledge in materials/coatings legislation and product safety certification would be an added advantage.