At Dyson we are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We’re creative, collaborative, practical and enthusiastic. But most of all we’re hugely passionate about what we do. Dyson offers a unique opportunity for talented individuals who wish to develop leading products for a global market that are truly different and better than our competitors. Our world class Design and Development department allows you to work with the latest equipment and other highly motivated creative people.
Our Mechanical Engineers have a broad and challenging role producing innovative powertrain concepts that push the limits of technology. It encompasses all stages of the design process from concept through to manufacture. Working in a small team alongside Design Managers you are encouraged to be thoroughly hands on when developing products and are responsible for all aspects of the design, from sourcing of the components through to final testing of the production design.
to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial
functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway
tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering.
Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay
independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath
(where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology).
The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Over 1,500 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. From 2016, our HQ will begin doubling its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Our Design engineering team is the idea factory of Dyson. It’s where we took the bag out of the vacuum. The blades out of a fan. And the heat out of hand dryers. With free-flowing curiosity and creativity, ideas are never in short supply. The key is deciding which ones could change the world and which should, for now, be shelved. This is done by the New Product Innovation team, who pass on the best ideas to New Product Development. Sketching, prototyping, testing, failing and refining follow. It can take months, even years. But those ideas that make it are big. The ones that transform markets.
• Responsible for the 3D CAD and design requirements of mechanical components from concept through to design frozen and complete.
• Liaise with the suppliers of motor and drive components to develop tailored designs to gain technical advantage in new products.
• Defining plans, monitoring progress and reporting to management on the technical risks.
• Use hand calculations to validate designs through the development process backed up with lab based testing / characterisation / validation.
• Take an active, hands-on role to ensure that all engineering problems are resolved thoroughly.
• Analyse test results, summarise and communicate these to colleagues both technical and non-technical.
• Challenge and develop Dyson engineering practices to continuously improve design quality.
• Clear logical thought with a sound understanding of fundamental physical science and general engineering principles.
• Able to demonstrate a good understanding of mechanisms and an awareness of the application of electrical principles and electronics.
• Idea generation – a creative problem solver who is intellectually sharp.
• Ability to multitask without losing focus in a rapidly changing environment.
• Persistent nature and an inquisitive approach.
• Ability to champion great design to produce products that meet all performance and functional criteria.
• Ability to communicate effectively across disciplines and business functions.
• Appreciation of motor technology.
• Knowledge of plastic gearing design and influences on rotating components.
• Experience in mechanical design / automotive / aerospace / motor design.