NPI Design Engineer - Robotics Systems (graduates considered)
Dyson offers a unique opportunity for talented individuals to invent, design and develop market leading products for the global market. By working in our world class Research Design and Development department, these individuals have the opportunity to work alongside leading technical specialists and highly motivated creative people, to create products which fulfil our ambition of being truly different and better than our competitors. Dyson offers opportunities for engineers and graduates to join our NPI Robotics team where you have the opportunity to use your experience to help develop the next generation of consumer technology. We encourage engineers to use their technical skills to develop products that meet our ambitious performance, cost and time requirements. To do this we need engineers who are flexible in their approach and who use their knowledge, determination and passion to create products we can be proud of.
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology). The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Over 3,500 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. From 2016, our HQ will begin doubling its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Our Design engineering team is the idea factory of Dyson. It’s where we took the bag out of the vacuum. The blades out of a fan. And the heat out of hand dryers. With free-flowing curiosity and creativity, ideas are never in short supply. The key is deciding which ones could change the world and which should, for now, be shelved. This is done by the New Product Innovation team, who pass on the best ideas to New Product Development. Sketching, prototyping, testing, failing and refining follow. It can take months, even years. But those ideas that make it are big. The ones that transform markets.
- Identify and apply new technologies in innovative ways to support the vision specification for new product concepts, either to solve problems or to create product opportunities.
- Use hands-on prototyping skills to design and build proof-of-principle rigs to demonstrate a method or idea.
- Evaluate performance of new concepts and technologies, and assess potential risk areas.
- Work with research teams to integrate new developments into the proposed design.
- Participate in brainstorms and gather research to support concepts.
- Take an active role to ensure that all engineering problems are resolved thoroughly.
- Prepare for (and participate in when required) design reviews with Design Managers and Concept Design Director.
- Communicate effectively with other relevant teams within RDD and maintain appropriate supporting documentation to ensure smooth hand over of projects to subsequent development.
- Use established Dyson development processes, good engineering practice and discipline to deliver robust design solutions in agreed timeframe.
- Participate in design reviews with James Dyson and/or Executive, as required.
- A degree in engineering or computer science (class II.1 or above), or equivalent, including significant mechatronics/robotics project work. A relevant PhD is not necessary but would be advantageous.
- Experience of software development, electronic design/prototyping, and mechanical design/construction.
- Experience of high-level robotics concepts and algorithms is not necessary but would be advantageous.
- A creative and considered approach to problem solving, following clear design processes.
- An understanding of practical and methodical development through prototyping and testing.
- A sound knowledge and understanding of basic physical principles.
- Ability to plan ahead, prioritise tasks and coordinate with the work of others.
- Excellent communication, problem solving and analytical skills
- Self starter - ability to work independently.
- Desirable: Ability to travel internationally for research/development purposes.
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.