NPI Design Engineer
At Dyson we are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We’re creative, collaborative, practical and enthusiastic. But most of all we’re hugely passionate about what we do. Dyson offers a unique opportunity for talented individuals who wish to invent, design and develop leading products for the global market. By working in our world class Research Design and Development department, these individuals have the opportunity to work alongside leading technical specialists and highly motivated creative people, to create products which fulfill our ambition of being truly different and better than our competitors.
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology). The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Over 1,500 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. From 2016, our HQ will begin doubling its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Our Design Engineers work within our design teams to help meet or exceed the technical specification, cost and time requirements on our products. Working alongside Design Managers and Senior Engineers, our Design Engineers are encouraged to be thoroughly hands on when developing products from initial inception through to manufacture.
- Apply innovative problem solving skills to support the vision specification for new product concepts.
- Participate in brainstorms and gather research to support new product concepts.
- Champion great design to produce products that meet all performance and functional criteria.
- Work with research teams to integrate and develop new technology research into the final design.
- Take an active, hands-on role to ensure that all engineering problems are resolved thoroughly.
- Use established Dyson development processes, good engineering practice and discipline to deliver robust design solutions in agreed timeframe.
- Maintain all supporting documentation to ensure accurate hand over either to other teams within the UK or Far East.
- Communicate between all teams within RDD and Global Operations to ensure effective and timely input.
- Prepare for (and participate in when required) design reviews with Design Managers and Concept Design Director.
- Design reviews with James Dyson and/or Executive, as required.
- A degree in a relevant engineering or science discipline or equivalent.
- Previous relevant experience of product design or mechanical engineering.
- Sound understanding and knowledge of basic physical principles.
- Knowledge and understanding of injection moulding and manufacturing.
- A creative and considered approach to problem solving, adhering to clear design processes.
- An understanding of practical and methodical design development through prototyping and testing.
- Proven ability to communicate through 2 and 3 dimensional media, e.g. sketching, CAD, model making.
- Technical and personal credibility to work effectively with other teams in RDD.
- Ability to plan ahead, prioritise tasks and coordinate with the work of others.
- Excellent communication, problem solving and analytical skills.
- Self-starter - ability to work independently.
- Ability to travel to Far East for job related research purposes.
- To be able to work to, and take ownership of a brief.
- To be able to react positively to rapid change.
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.