Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology).
The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Over 2,500 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. From 2016, our HQ will begin doubling its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
The successful candidate has responsibility and accountability across several key areas, including:
• Network architecture, strategy and roadmap
• Innovation and emerging technologies o Proof-of-Concept projects, lab trials, vendor/technology evaluation
• Customer/partner engagements
• Works closely with fellow Technical Architects and Security Architects, and wider business users to ensure robust, highly performing, reliable and scalable network solutions are in place throughout all IT systems and platforms.
• Leads the development of network evolution use cases and long-term network architecture in collaboration with business stakeholders, partners and fellow technical architects.
• Designs and recommends network solutions to align with business, process and application requirements.
• Provides advice and consultation to various teams throughout the business on matters relating to network design and operation, including mentoring of network engineers and analysts.
• Last line of in-house support for Dyson network solutions deployed globally.
• Evolution of the wider Architect function within Dyson’s IT Design team through development of long term blueprints, and templates along with the vision to present these to the wider IT team.
• Extensive experience in network engineering, architecture, design, and implementation in complex enterprise level networks.
• Experience architecting complex, scalable and secure networks for infrastructure modernisation efforts.
• Experience in developing cost effective, dynamic networks with infrastructure redundancy, and network link diversity to ensure high availability and disaster recovery.
• Deep comprehension of networking concepts including network design principles, data flow identification, routing, switching, VLANs, IP addressing, etc.
• Familiarity with network tools for design assistance and advanced troubleshooting.
• Strong experience in commercial dealings with Network vendors and Solution Providers – either as customer or as provider.
• Solid understanding of advanced networking technologies, virtualization technologies, and solutions including MPLS, virtual route forwarding, virtual device contexts, multicast routing, policy-based routing, ether-channel, QoS, traffic-shaping, load balancing, VPN tunnels, WAN Optimization, load balancing etc.
• Exceptional documentation skills that can clearly articulate technical designs, issues and constraints, procedures, and network assessments.
• Strong conceptual thinking and communication skills including confident presentation skills.
• Ability to work well under minimal supervision and with a high degree of autonomy and responsibility.
• Team-oriented interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate effectively with a broad range of people and roles, including vendors, IT and business personnel.
• Good understanding of technology and process optimization techniques e.g. standardisation, consolidation, simplification and automation and an appetite for continuous improvement.
• Comfortable working outside of core working hours when necessary to complete tasks.
• Able to travel to world-wide sites across the enterprise.
Technologies of interest – some or all of the following areas of expertise will be useful:
• Experience and understanding of newer network technologies such as Spine and Leaf, SDN, NFV, Openstack, OpenFlow and NSX.
• Understanding of advanced data centre networking equipment including Nexus 9K/7K/5K/2K, Catalyst series switches, Cisco routers, Cisco WiFi infrastructure options, DR integration, next-gen firewalls, VPN, F5 BIGIP systems, etc.
• Experience with enterprise class network management/monitoring systems is desired (Solarwinds, Nagios, etc.).
• Solid understanding of layered network and security protocols including: Layer 2 - Ethernet, ARP, STP, VTP, VPC, MEC, LACP, PAGP, DOT1Q-Layer 3 - OSPF, EIGRP, MPLS, DMVPN, VRRP, HSRP, GLBP, ICMP, ESP (IPSEC), IP - Layer 4 - TCP, UDP - Layer 6 - SSL, TLS, SSH - Layer 7 - FTP, HTTP, DNS, Telnet, SSH, BGP.
• Experience working with Enterprise grade network security appliances, IDS/IPS systems, Firewalls, Web/Mail Proxies etc.
• Good understanding of Enterprise grade Public Key Infrastructure technologies Qualifications
• A bachelor's or master's degree in computer science, network design or other related field; or equivalent work experience.
• Professional network vendor certifications such as Cisco CCNP R&S, CCDP, Juniper JNCIS-ENT, etc.
• Experience with ITIL and Prince 2, and knowledge of formal architecture methodologies (TOGAF, Zachmann, etc.)