Noise and Vibration Engineer
£Competitive + 27 Days Holiday + Pension + Bonus
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology).
The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Over 1,500 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. From 2016, our HQ will begin doubling its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
It takes real ingenuity to find new ways of doing things. Smarter technologies. Lighter, stronger materials. And quieter, cleaner power systems. Our Research & Science teams – scientists, mechanical engineers and specialists across each of product category – are the experimenters and risk-takers behind Dyson problem-solving. Whether it’s in-house development, sourcing outside technology partners, or driving collaboration with partner universities, we lead the way in finding the next generation of Dyson technology. Which is why anyone can find themselves presenting to James Dyson himself.
• Drive the acoustic development of our new, class-leading products from initial concept to post-production, to ensure noise and vibration targets are met.
• Interrogate the acoustics of prototype machines using a range of measurement and simulation methods.
• Analyse test results, summarise and communicate findings to other members of RDD including senior managers, company directors and James Dyson.
• Support design teams to provide insight and solutions to noise and vibration challenges across RDD and the Dyson world.
• Drive designs forward based on sound engineering knowledge and ensure correct decisions are taken at all stages of the design process with regards to noise and vibration.
• Mentor Design Engineers in noise and vibration best practice in our extensive range of environmental control, professional and personal care products.
• Identify potential new research areas which would benefit from noise and vibration technology development.
• Liaise with other teams to ensure an effective transfer of technologies into products.
• A degree in Mechanical Engineering/Noise and Vibration, Acoustics or equivalent.
• Programming experience e.g. MATLAB, Python, Simscape, Labview, VBA.
• Experience of finite element analysis packages (e.g. ANSYS) and measurement systems (e.g. B&K Pulse) desirable but not essential.
• A highly driven individual who strives for accurate results in every aspect of their work.
• Ability to work as part of a team or unsupervised to an agreed goal or set of deliverables.
• A clear logical thinker with exceptional attention to detail.
• A proven structured approach to creative problem solving.
• Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal formats.