Northeast Zone Sales Director
New York, NY
The Zone Director is part of Dyson US commercial organization responsible for a geographic region. This role influences and designs strategy in partnership with the National Sales and Marketing teams to optimize sell through with retail partners as well as direct-to-consumer locations.
Responsibilities include performance and development of sell-through activity in an assigned geography. This individual will lead, develop and staff a team of Regional Sales Managers and an extended sales and demonstration team.
This individual coordinates extensively with other businesses and functions within the region and company, including Finance, Planning and Analysis, Marketing, and National Accounts. The Zone Director is responsible for achieving specific sales targets, P&L, staffing, development, and communication in order to help the Zone meet and exceed its goals.
Dyson landed in the US in 2002 and within 24 months our technology was market share leader. In total, there are over 600 Dyson people working across the US in multiple functions.
But Dyson US is still growing. It’s poised to double its footprint and take on new categories. Already a target for our competitors, challenging times are ahead. And our battle-hungry US team are truly fired up.
- Coordinate development and implementation of annual business plan for all retailers and direct channels within the geographic Zone. Business plan should be measured, reviewed, updated and communicated quarterly and should include the following:
Gross Margin and trading profit
Unit sales objectives (quarterly/semi-annual/annual)
Updated retailer, demo zone and consumer profiles
New product sales objectives
Retail/direct mix objectives
Activity plan (by quarter) on sales activities to meet and exceed budgeted sales & profitability
- Partner with Sales and Marketing to provide recommendations on programs, strategies, policies and procedures based on market data, competitor activities, and the needs of our customers.
- Regularly communicate and cascade information into the Zone, including any changes to sales and distribution, new programs, sales performance metrics, etc.
- Regularly provide business updates to functional stakeholders and Leadership in Chicago and UK offices
Use knowledge of local zone to influence strategy and execution of plans
Communicate plans to internal stakeholders and gain buy-in for implementation.
- Responsible for the budgeting and forecasting of the Zone, including reporting, adjusting for shortfalls, accounting for incentives, and planning expenses.
Partner with internal business functions to lead, build, and execute plans of the sales team.
Manage accountability of team members to internal functions – National Accounts, Marketing, Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Finance, Logistics and Sales Order Processing
Create a culture to support team development. Inspire, lead, motivate and coach the team through regular feedback, 1:1s, and career conversations.
Manage processes to ensure that the California Zone team is as effective as possible to meet business objectives.
Identify gaps in knowledge and skills in the team and build appropriate solutions.
- Fulfil other duties as required.
Embrace change to meet demanding business needs
Think creatively and identify opportunities to challenge and deliver excellence
Identify gaps and opportunities and find solutions
Ability to travel up to 50% of the time
Ability to lift push, and pull up to 30 lbs
Experience and Education
· Bachelor’s Degree in business-related field or equivalent experience required
· 10+ years of sales experience required
· 5+ years of people management experience required
· Local market experience required
· Prior experience leading a successful team strongly preferred
· Strong leadership skills, both internally and externally
· Ability to think strategically, develop long-term plans for the business, and then drive plans from conception through implementation
· Demonstrated ability to work collaboratively, manage competing priorities, and influence business strategy
· Strong communication and presentation skills, both written and verbal
· Comfortable working in ambiguity and leading change efforts
· Strong analytical capability including ownership of a P&L and sales data (internal and external)
· Ability to understand the Dyson brand and uphold its integrity
· Strong sales and negotiation skills and contract negotiation experience
· Organizational skills for self and team
· Ability to work efficiently and contribute at a high level while working remotely
· High proficiency level in Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, PowerPoint and various mobile apps