The successful candidate will become part of a busy ECAD team within Research Design and Development (RDD), providing PCB design and technical support to an expanding Electronics group
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology).
The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Nearly 2,000 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. In 2017, our HQ will double its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
When you invent something, the right technology often doesn’t exist to make it work. So we make our own. From advanced systems, components and power supplies to building a digital motor from scratch, Dyson electronics engineers have enabled our ideas to become reality. As our future products rely more on robotics, connectivity, and complex sensing and navigation technologies, our high speed electronics will stand us apart. From designing the hardware to the systems, that make Dyson machines as reliable as they are intelligent, our electronics engineers are central to our most pioneering RDD.
This is a demanding role, and the ideal candidate will bring a diverse breadth of PCB design experience, coupled with good problem solving skills, communication, team leading and team work.
- Liaise with project team to help generate a suitable specification for each design.
- Ensure correct design procedures and practices are applied
o Manage design activity within project management system
- Ensure all design work undertaken is consistent with team approach
- Design PCBs (including single sided, double sided & multilayer)
- Design for high volume, applying an embedded DFM approach
- Design for mains voltage, ensuring design compliance to safety requirements
- Constraint management
- Drawing creation
- Output generation
- Management of data within Dyson PLM system
- Design validation, peer checking
o Help maintain & update schematic database
- Support of Design reviews
- Design of Symbols, Footprints and parts for the ECAD Library
- 3D modelling of components and assemblies
- Support CAD software improvements when required
- Support process improvement activity when required
Some of the proficiencies listed below:
Experience of Mentor Graphics Xpedition Enterprise tools
- Experience of Valor tools
- PCB Design: Design for Manufacture
- Mains potential voltage
- Knowledge of Creepage & Clearance design requirements
- Current carrying up to 40A
- Thermal management
- Design for EMC
This is a demanding role, and requires a variety of traits and characteristics, such as:
- Problem solving
- Methodical approach
- Multi-tasking skills
- Team working
- Excellent communication skills
- Attention to detail
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.