Packaging Development Engineer
In 2000, Dyson moved production from Malmesbury to Malaysia to be closer to our supply chains and open up international growth. The small team of 10 has now grown to almost 1,200 – forming Dyson’s second biggest global hub. Located in the exhilarating industrial heart of Johor, it’s also home to RDD, IT, operations, finance, creative and HR.
The RDD facility is central to our plans to launch 100 new machines in the next four years. To meet these ambitions, we recently expanded the site to 30,000m², with 50 advanced technology labs and 700 new engineers. In the Dyson world, there’s no more exciting place to be.
For a Dyson engineer, breaking the rules is part of the job. It’s what makes Dyson machines different. But the next great Dyson idea can’t change the world from a lab. To ensure our machines can be sold, there are some rules we need to stick to. From reviewing initial concepts to testing final components in our accredited test laboratories, our Compliance and Approvals team is a critical voice during the design phase. By making sure Dyson machines are never kept off the shelf by global standards and legislation, they play vital role in supporting Dyson’s growth.
- Development and qualification of new packages thru various test standard to ensure packages meet higher reliability standard.
- Ensure that requirement scopes are fully understood for execution.
- Ensure Packaging formats are investigated and rationalized to ensure they are fit for purpose and manufacturing process.
- Identify new concepts, develop solutions and support implementation of new packages at the manufacturing sites.
- Identify and evaluate new packaging materials, technologies and concepts as well as emerging packaging trends.
- Evaluate options, improve and innovate costdown activity.
- Respond to market issues, conduct analysis and drive improvement for solution.
- Working closely with Traffics to ensure packaging solutions deliver within the milestone/deadline
Proven ability to work effectively in a cross-functional team environment.
Minimum of 3 years of related work experience in Product Packaging.
Demonstrated design skills in product packaging, conceptual layouts and analysis.
Thorough understanding of the product packaging development process and relationship to the product Lifecycle.
Strong interpersonal and project management skills and demonstrated ability to solve problems cross functionally and regionally.
Experience with designing product packaging for domestic and international distribution and supply chains.
Fundamental knowledge of product packaging development as well as primary packaging development including: clamshells, thermal foaming, bags, corrugated inserts, folding cartons, pulp tray and internal protective packaging.
Thorough understanding of design for manufacturability concepts used to optimize the overall performance and features of the final package. (Cost, Quality, Reliability, Manufacturability).
Thorough knowledge of packaging technologies and manufacturing processes.
Proficient with 3D CAD systems.
Proficient in generating engineering documentations (technical drawings, shipping configuration, analysis report) Strong problem-solving skills, including root cause investigations.
Experience of all disciplines in packaging will be required, as well as a good understanding of current packaging regulations and directives