As one of our Patent Attorneys you will provide IP advice to the business as a whole and work to secure protection for the inventions developed by the company and to advise on the appropriate extent of that protection.
Dyson HQ is home to over 3,500 people who work across a medley of engineering and commercial functions. The award-winning campus has three cafes, a sports centre and a number of engineering icons including our Harrier and Lightning jets – one of which hangs from the ceiling of our café. Based in Malmesbury, the campus is within easy reach of both the Cotswolds and cities like Bath and Bristol along the M4 corridor.
Dyson learnt an early lesson in the value of legal might, winning a gruelling battle against Hoover when it infringed our early cyclone technology patents. Since then, our multi award winning IP team has fought off infringers from all corners of the globe, doggedly protecting our ideas and technology. It’s a constant battle of whack-a-mole; as we win one case, another infringer pops up. Forget attention to detail – our team have eyes in the back of their heads and ears to the ground in every market. Working closely with Dyson engineers from the very conception of ideas, they make sure we’re able to rigidly protect Dyson’s lifeblood: our technology.
- To draft and prosecute patent applications in relation to inventions belonging to the company.
- To analyse search results and apply findings as appropriate.
- To make recommendations regarding the protection of inventions in various territories.
- To advise product development/research teams with regard to potential risks relating to third parties’ rights.
- To advise business in relation to IP issues in all areas as appropriate.
- To provide training and guidance to Trainee Patent Attorney as appropriate.
- To maintain ongoing contact with various specific teams and advise them on IP issues as necessary.
- To maintain up-to-date knowledge of current IP laws and practices
- Analytical Ability: The absorption of large amounts of information and the distillation of the core points is vital to this role.
- Communication: The role requires an ability to communicate points to non-IP personnel in a concise and understandable manner.
- Drive for Results: This role also requires an ability to get through the tasks in a timely manner without undue delays occurring.
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidized café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines