Pick Up Engineer
The Dyson Pickup team is responsible for delivering performance focused technologies that clean dust and debris from the floor. Marketing claims based on Pickup performance are key to Dyson’s success so the role of Senior Pickup Engineer is important for ensuring each technology is understood, robust and well controlled in production.
This person will work in an R&D environment and contribute to the development of Dyson products from the evaluation of new technologies right up to validation of the final product. This person will manage system specs, design, conduct development testing, monitor performance testing and provide suggestions to further improve the machine’s performance.
In 2000, Dyson moved production from Malmesbury to Malaysia to be closer to our supply chains and open up international growth. The small team of 10 has now grown to almost 1,200 – forming Dyson’s second biggest global hub. Located in the exhilarating industrial heart of Johor, it’s also home to RDD, IT, operations, finance, creative and HR.
The RDD facility is central to our plans to launch 100 new machines in the next four years. To meet these ambitions, we recently expanded the site to 30,000m², with 50 advanced technology labs and 700 new engineers. In the Dyson world, there’s no more exciting place to be.
It takes real ingenuity to find new ways of doing things. Smarter technologies. Lighter, stronger materials. And quieter, cleaner power systems. Our Research& Science teams – scientists, mechanical engineers and specialists across each product category – are the experimenters and risk-takers behind Dyson problem-solving. Whether it’s in-house development, sourcing outside technology partners, or driving collaboration with partner universities, they lead the way in finding the next generation of Dyson technology. Which is why any one of them can find themselves presenting to James Dyson himself.
- Improve and Design the technologies that clean dust and debris from surfaces, utilising proven and experimental scientific techniques
Utilise signal acquisition and analysis techniques to measure system performance and quantify improvements
Ensure new systems/technologies satisfy the targeted performance specification.
Assist Quality, Procurement and Current Support teams with Pick Up issues related to existing products.
Communicate with suppliers to develop test rigs and prepare engineering samples for new product investigations
- Occasional interface with Dyson UK teams during new product development
- A Degree or Masters in Mechanical, Electro-mechanical, Mechatronics, Aero Engineering or a technical science subject
- Min 3 years of working experience in mechanical, electro-mechanical, mechatronics, aero engineering or technical science is desirable
- Min 2 years of hands on experience in 3D CAD and measuring techniques of engineering parameters is desirable
- A basic understanding plastic / metal part design and process.
- Excellent command of English (verbal and written) and able to communicate with all levels
Key Competencies Required
- Ability to work autonomously and take guidance/cue from superiors
- Beginner level user of any signal acquisition and analysis hardware and software
- Beginner to Moderate understanding of statistical & quality control techniques
- Good interpersonal and presentation and project handling skills.
- Good understanding of mechanical drawings and performance parameters.
- Basic to advance experience on prototype preparation and modification for testing
- A proactive, self-starter and with demonstrated ability to deliver high quality engineering project work
- Has an aptitude for trouble shooting and problem solving.
Dyson Malaysia monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries, bonuses and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll enjoy generous leave, a transport allowance and medical care and insurance. But financial benefits are just the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to fuelling and realising ambition.