Principal Research Scientist – Air Treatment
£Competitive + 27 Days Holiday, Pension, Bonus
Working in a cross functional team of scientists and engineers, performing early stage research to support new product innovation, the Principal Engineer will be responsible for expanding the team’s external research activities in a growing team.
You will use your expertise to provide technical direction and critical assessment of internal research. The role would be ideally suited to a candidate with academic experience wanting to apply themselves in a real-world industrial environment within a technical research team.
At Dyson we are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We’re creative, collaborative, practical and enthusiastic. But most of all we’re hugely passionate about what we do.
Dyson offers a unique opportunity for a talented individual who wishes to translate their expert knowledge into real world technologies to develop leading products for the global market. By working in our world class Research Design and Development department, the successful individual has the opportunity to work alongside technical specialists and highly motivated ingenious people, to create products which fulfil our ambition of being truly different and better than our competitors.
Reporting to the Fluid Treatment Research Lead in a growing multi-disciplinary team you will:
- Provide impartial technical guidance and mentoring across multiple fields.
- Bring a multifaceted approach to problem solving at technology and product levels
- Lead the development and delivery of external research for air treatment with the support of the technical scouting teams, building on Dyson’s network of academic experts.
- Keep abreast of current state-of-the-art technical literature.
- Offer compelling technology propositions in line with the technology roadmap using technical vision to define the company blueprint.
- Continually challenge, develop capability and best practice and drive new ways of technical thinking across the wider community.
- Deliver specialist knowledge to the senior management team in research reviews.
- Act as an independent reviewer and chair technical reviews at key stage gates.
- Have a PhD and be a recognised expert in a field relevant to chemistry/catalysis/air treatment.
- Extensive and demonstrable experience post PhD.
- A good publication record on relevant topics in peer reviewed journals.
- Demonstrable capability for independent thinking, maintaining a resilient attitude to delivery and full integrity.
- The ability to effectively communicate complex ideas and concepts, tailoring communication according to the audience.
- Well-developed influencing skills i.e. the ability to persuade and influence cross-functionally at all levels.
- Have prior experience of cross-discipline research projects involving multiple collaborators.