Principal system engineer
Responsible for the architecture, requirements capture, specification, modelling and verification of complex real time safety critical electronics and electromechanical systems. The candidate will be responsible from the definition phase of the project to the validation and verification phase and will have experience with modelling tools, Hardware in the loop (HIL), and manufacturing and assembly processes, as well as, the capability to select and work with external suppliers and sub-contractors and internal design engineers.
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology).
The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Over 1,500 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. From 2016, our HQ will begin doubling its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
When you invent something, the right technology to support it often doesn’t exist. So we make our own. From advanced systems, components and power supplies to building a digital motor from scratch, Dyson electronics engineers have enabled Dyson ideas to become reality. As our future products rely more on robotics, connectivity, and complex sensing and navigation technologies, our high speed electronics will stand us apart. From designing the hardware to the systems that make Dyson machines as reliable as they are intelligent, our electronics engineers are central to our most pioneering RDD.
Overview of the role:
The role requires experience in a wide range of human machine interface (HMI) technologies both in terms of the haptics, sensing and visualization technologies but also the electronics functions necessary to interface and implement HMI. All HMI technologies should be considered in scope so the Specialist needs to have a wide knowledge base and be able to extend his/her knowledge to new and novel HMI technologies that he/she is not familiar with in order to solve difficult technology and product challenges. The Specialist should be able to work without supervision and be able to advise the projects of what best HMI technologies to use for the need of the project.
We are looking for a talented UI Designer to create amazing user experiences. The ideal candidate should have an eye for clean and artful design, possess superior UX-UI skills and be able to translate high-level requirements into interaction flows and artifacts, and transform them into beautiful, intuitive, and functional user interfaces.
- Responsible for the haptics, sensing, Human Factors, HMI and visualization technologies
- Requirement definition and capturing
- Technology identification
- Responsible for the selection and management of external suppliers
- Collaborate with product management and engineering to define and implement innovative solutions for the product direction, visuals and experience
- Execute all visual design stages from concept to final hand-off to engineering
- Conceptualize original ideas that bring simplicity and user friendliness to complex design roadblocks
- Create wireframes, storyboards, user flows, process flows and site maps to effectively communicate interaction and design ideas
- Present and defend designs and key milestone deliverables to peers and executive level stakeholders
- Conduct user research and evaluate user feedback
- Establish and promote design guidelines, best practices and standards
- Proven UX-UI experience
- Demonstrable UI design skills with a strong portfolio
- Solid experience in creating wireframes, storyboards, user flows, process flows and site maps
- Proficiency in Photoshop, Illustrator, OmniGraffle, or other visual design and wire-framing tools
- Excellent visual design skills with sensitivity to user-system interaction
- Ability to present your designs and sell your solutions to various stakeholders.
- Ability to solve problems creatively and effectively
- Up-to-date with the latest UI trends, techniques, and technologies
- BS/MS in Human-Computer Interaction, Interaction Design, or related
- Experience working in an Agile/Scrum development process
- Self-starter and highly motivated
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, very generous leave, income protection, and private medical and dental care (level dependent). But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.