Principal Systems Engineer
Competitive remuneration package
The systems engineering team in Dyson RDD are responsible for ensuring that all technologies are properly understood and thoroughly integrated into every new product we develop. They do this by working with the individual engineering functions and the product design manager to reduce and remove engineering risk resulting from interactions between engineering disciplines. Systems engineers bring a broad based engineering skillset making them capable of understanding the requirements, design solutions and verification of mechanical, electromechanical and electronic assemblies.
The Principal Systems Engineer is recognized as the "face" of the department and the voice of greatest technical authority. Their expertise is acknowledged across the organization. The Principal Engineer will also be looked upon as a role model by the engineering population and will play a role in technical mentoring of engineers, particularly those seeking to move up our technical career ladder.
This individual is expected, when necessary, to lead task forces to resolve business critical issues effectively, while demonstrating exceptional technical management skills. As the technical authority, this individual shall chart the long term technology roadmap for the team.
The ability to initiate, develop and oversee complex ideas, design concepts, proposals & procedures is considered critical for success in this role, along with the ability to chair project wide technical reviews.
o Set yearly and long term (3~5 years) goals for the Systems Engineering team
o Drive implementation of our technology road map, managing staging of technologies.
o Translate organizational goals into tangible actions and allocate according to discipline engineers.
o Provide engineering guidance and oversight to our Systems Engineering team.
o Technically assess the readiness of our projects before passing through development milestones.
o Drive technical problem solving of high priority engineering issues, particularly of problems straddling mechanical and electrical disciplines.
o Develop parametric system models, using appropriate tools (Matlab, Excel, Labview). Understand the key design parameters through system modelling/simulation
• People development
o Own the competency/skills matrix for the Systems Engineering discipline.
o Ensure recruitment and training of our Engineering teams is done in line with our Technology Roadmap.
o Develop a Systems Engineering approach within Dyson’s product development process
o Identify & implement engineering tools, techniques and methods to support continuous improvement of our systems engineering team and the broader engineering department.
o Develop improvements to our system level risk analysis (such as system FMEA) to ensure system risks are identified and mitigated at the earliest opportunity
o Responsible to identify and implement preventive measures to improve the effectiveness of Systems Engineering
• A good bachelors or masters degree in either mechanical or electronics disciplines.
• A minimum of 8 years’ experience in a product development environment, contributing to the delivery of mechanical and electronic assemblies.
• An interest in all aspects of engineering and a desire to broaden your skillset.
• A track record of analytical problem solving and prediction through simulation.
• A hands on problem solving attitude.
• Excellent technical communication skills, both spoken and written.
• The ability to effectively communicate complex ideas and concepts, tailoring communication to suit different levels, particularly senior management.
• Well-developed influencing skills i.e. the ability to persuade and influence cross-functionally at all levels.