Procurement Manager - Electronics
This role will be a key position within the growing electronics procurement team and global team.
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology).
The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Nearly 2,000 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. In 2017, our HQ will double its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Neodymium magnets. Aerospace-grade carbon fibre. PEEK high strength plastic. Just a few of the materials procured to build just one of our machines – the Dyson digital motor V2. But when you design unconventional machines, you need unconventional materials. The Procurement department works directly with RDD on Dyson’s most secret projects. Sourcing high quality materials, and finished components with demanding specifications, means tracking down niche suppliers. It requires tenacity, speed and efficiency to meet project milestones. In essence, we need to be as inventive as Dyson engineers.
- Lead the Procurement activities for the designated Category and represent UK Procurement in cross functional team meetings for new and existing projects.
- Drive and manage NPD Category costs to meet Should Costs and Target Costs. The role will work in collaboration with the Procurement Project Managers, Category Design Managers and the Product Cost team to deliver Target costs to support the Business Case.
- Develop Category Sourcing Plans for each project, identifying High-risk and High-impact parts and ensuring all necessary Category Procurement activities are complete
- Work with engineers and suppliers to create detailed specifications, and identify VA/VE and DFM opportunities – and ensure they are adopted and benefits realised
- Support cross functional long term Procurement strategy for designated categories and related components, obtaining buy in from key stakeholders within the business
- Initiate negotiations and take the lead in closing price agreements to meet KPIs in cooperation with the Category team
- Identify risk, minimise exposure and work closely with internal stakeholders to define and implement mitigating actions
- Network quickly and integrate at all levels in Dyson
- Contract negotiation and new vendor identification, introduction and management
- Work autonomously with accountability for your categories strategies and performance
- Degree/CIPS qualified
- Experience of managing a team would be an advantage
- Substantial experience in Procurement Category Management
- Demonstrate understanding of technical engineering relevant to designated Category
- Strong commercial background within a High-Tech manufacturing and/or engineering industry
- Consider Engineering / Technology / Manufacturing backgrounds
- Proficient negotiator with proven abilities in influencing people at all levels in the organisation
- Strong manufacturing and quality knowledge with a process orientation to govern cost and supplier selection
- Experience in product costing and/or costed Bill of Materials and identification of product cost drivers
- Good understanding of legal regulations and contract setting
- Self-motivated, accurate and operates with the highest ethical standards. Prepared to work hard to get the right result for Dyson, be tough yet be fair with our supplier base
- Excellent communication skills for reporting to stakeholders at different levels
- Excellent problem solving and analytical skills: to be able to assess problems thoroughly and drive logical conclusions
- Willing to challenge the status quo – internally and externally
- Excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to build productive working relationships and influence stakeholders
- Integrity and confidence under pressure – always presenting the facts no matter what the circumstances
- Fluent spoken and written English
- Excellent at Excel and Powerpoint
- Teamcentre knowledge desirable
- SAP desirable
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.