Procurement Engineer - New Product Innovation
£Competitive + Bonus, Pension, 27 Days Holiday, Free Onsite Gym
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology).
The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Over 2,000 people, including James himself, spend their days strategising, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. From 2017, our HQ will begin doubling its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
- Drive and manage NPI Procurement activities and represent Procurement in cross functional team meetings, managing Procurement actions and coordinating to completion with UK and Global Procurement Commodity Managers.
- To act as the bridge between NPI Engineering and Procurement Commodity Managers. This will predominantly be around detailed specification and global supplier selection – either as partners or as manufacturers of parts and components.
- Drive Approved Vendor list (AVL) adherence within NPI
- Identify New Suppliers and provide initial concept quotation summaries and recommendations for new commodities not available within the AVL.
- Ensure all Supply Options and proposals are in line with Global strategies and are in agreement with the SEA Commodity team
- Develop NPI Sourcing Plans for each project, identifying High-risk and High-impact parts and ensuring all necessary Procurement activities are tracked and progressed to closure to the milestone process.
- Investigate methods of manufacture which could influence design and cost
- Initiate and negotiate to signatures New Supplier Contracts e.g. NDA’s / Development Agreements.
- Conduct New Supplier Visits / preliminary audits, and financial due diligence as part of Early Supplier Involvement.
- Integrate effectively with a fast moving global Procurement team. The successful candidate must have a proven track-record of success as a Procurement professional in a corporate Procurement environment, handling a diverse range of high risk, high value spend categories, with technical complexity.
- Network quickly and integrate at all levels in Dyson, specifically with the engineering teams to understand the key requirements and specifications.
- Support and participate on new product innovation project teams, acting as the procurement engineering expert – with an on-time, on-cost focus
- Identify risk, minimise exposure and work closely with internal stakeholders to define and implement risk mitigating actions
- Engineering or Scientific degree
- Commercial experience within a Manufacturing and/or Engineering background in a relevant industry
- Experience in Supplier research and auditing for new technologies
- Experience in product costing and/or costed Bill of Materials and identification of product cost drivers
- Proficient negotiator with proven abilities in influencing people at all levels in the organisation
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.