Product Quality Manager
£Competitive + 27 Days Holiday, Bonus, Pension
The Product Quality manager’s role is fundamental to the way the quality team operates. Reporting to the UK Head of Product Quality these roles are responsible for supporting delivery of safe reliable products, which perform to customers’ expectations. Engagement with product development and engineering teams will be from the early concept stage through to the handover of the product to the SEA quality team.
to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial
functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels
and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our
secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded.
Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James
Dyson invented cyclone technology).
building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Over 2,500 people, including James himself,
spend their days strategising, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story
to the world. From 2016, our HQ will begin doubling its footprint with an
ambitious new expansion.
Dyson products are built to last, as well as perform. To do this we invest heavily in performance and reliability testing, building our own machines to test our machines. 24 hours a day, seven days a week we put them through their paces. We analyse data and customer feedback, relentlessly improving product safety, reliability, usability and customer satisfaction. Each generation of Dyson technology must set the benchmark for the next. And with so many new categories on the way, our Global Quality & Reliability team will need to be more inventive than ever. Vital to Dyson’s future technology.
A key element of the role will be to understand the market behaviour of our products and to feed them back into early stage design as well as to define a campaign of fixes for safety, reliability, service and satisfaction issues. Excellent communication skills and the ability to influence those outside your direct reporting line will be critical to success in this role as will the ability to work effectively with the SEA Product Quality Managers.
Specific duties are:
- Assessment of reliability in market and the ability to manufacture products in control.
- Assess and influence support strategy for products alongside Quality Service Lead to define serviceability of a design.
- Feedback to early stage of design of all relevant information related to product quality including new launch information and customer perception of failure as well as design features / components that break.
- Feedback all manufacturing and supplier quality issues to early stage design.
- Ensure that all product claims are adequately controllable in production.
- Working with the Product Quality Managers in SEA to ensure effective handover of quality oversight of products as they transfer to SEA.
- Working with the service lead to identify where service materials and aftersales parts are requires.
- Define a campaign of fixes with engineering support on current products.
- Review and sign off validation plans for products.
- Continually updated quality view of all products in the range plan.
- Communication to the wider business of all issues related to the category.
- Work with the wider quality team in territory markets to understand territory specific requirements, Product Specification requirements as well as market specific product insight. Organising data capture where required.
- Manage a team of engineers and product insight analysts.
- Significant experience of product quality, reliability and support within a consumer goods or power electronics industry.
- The ability to manage multiple (often urgent) quality issues.
- The ability to influence beyond your direct reporting line. Clarity of communication – both upwards, to own team and peers across multiple countries and both 1:1 and in small group interactions at all levels.
- The ability to assess the relative risks involved in different courses of action.
- A tenacious approach to working, quality problems and identifying their root cause is rarely straight forward.
- Knowledge of Dyson products, suppliers, people and processes.
- A strong technical capability with Dyson products and the ability to determine the right technical direction when quality issues arise.
- Formal quality training in six sigma, ISO standards ect.
monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions.
Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life
insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional
growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular
reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working
hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering
spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and