Product Verification Team Coordinator
£Competitve + 27 Days Holiday + Pension + Bonus
The Verification Engineering & Test team (VET) lead all UK product robustness and performance test activities for future Dyson products. Located in the heart of the UK’s Research Design & Development (RDD) department at Malmesbury, the team of 80 engineers and technicians operate over 15 individual test facilities within which prototype machines are tested to their absolute limits.
As the team has grown in size, the need to centralise certain tasks under this role has grown too. This will increase directly the efficiency of the engineering staff.
This role reports to the UK Head-of-Test, and whilst significantly administrative in nature (covering purchasing, talent management, PLM system updates, test facility service contract management), gives opportunities to develop and practice skills in the areas of both programme management and MSOffice tool development. The exact scope of these latter two areas can be determined through development discussions with you, with appropriate training being available.
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology).
The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Nearly 2,000 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. In 2017, our HQ will double its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Capital Expenditure (CAPEX): be the primary VET team CAPEX contact, obtaining quotes, raising CAPEX submissions, managing the approval workflow, tracking spend and managing the budget with the Head-of-Test and Finance team
SAP: be the primary VET team SAP contact, setting up new suppliers, managing orders, resolving issues and collaborating with internal finance teams to continuously improve the process
Credit cards: manage the team credit cards, spend tracking and monthly sign-off
Fulfill any new activities that fall broadly into the role such as providing administrative support where needed to the Head-of-Test and wider VET team, including:
Test facilities: Manage the service contracts for the 15 test facilities belonging to the VET team, building close working relationships with the relevant contractors, driving efficiency improvements to minimise facility down-time and be the central contact for all team lab owners in need of emergency maintenance support
Teamcenter PLM administration (training provided): Link Requirements with Test IDs, create PLM PRs following triage meetings (see below), manage the TM index
Manage the VET team skills/competency matrix
Shipping: manage the shipping of items from small packets to large rigs, including resolving customs issues
Lead regular cross-team meetings on the following topics, setting the agenda, running the meetings, issuing minutes and following up actions: issue triage, project verification planning
Continuous Improvement Projects:
Support the UK Head-of-Test and direct reports to improve team efficiency through developing project scope & specification documents, carrying out MS Office VBA / macro tool developments and working with third parties where such projects need to be out-sourced
Experienced administrator, analyst, planner or co-ordinator with track record of working in the engineering environment
Highly organised, excellent time and project management skills. Ability to multitask is paramount as well as meticulously keeping an eye on detail
Business/data analyst skills
- Computer literate with excellent understanding of Microsoft Office and SAP experience
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
Excel VBA/Macro knowledge/capability
- PA experience to senior manager or similar
- PLM system knowledge/experience
- Basic understanding of the engineering design/development process
- Basic awareness of general product test equipment e.g. power supply, instrumentation, actuation, data logging
- Work with minimum supervision
- Initiative and Proactivity: Resourceful, energetic and motivated
- Delivery: Focuses on expedient delivery of work, to the right level of resolution and quality
- Concern for accuracy: Consistently delivers the required level of accuracy and quality
- Attitude: Takes job responsibilities seriously, and conducts themselves in a positive and professional manner
- Communication: Ability to effectively communicate and converse with the UK VET engineering and technician teams
- Planning and Organising: Works with a clear, efficient and logical approach
- Flexibility: Willing to adapt thinking, behaviour and activities to suit the requirements of different situations
- Teamwork: Shows willingness to put the goal of the team before personal goals, and the ability to build effective co-operative relationships with others