Specialist Workshop Machinist - Advanced Manufacturing Engineering Apprenticeship
*CLOSING DATE: 08:00 Monday 27th March 2017* £11,000/annum - includes qualification
Malmesbury, Wiltshire and Yate, Bristol
We are looking to develop bright, career motivated people into Specialist Workshop Machinist Apprentices through our 4 year, Advanced Manufacturing Engineering Apprenticeship. From day one, you’ll be immersed in hands-on machining, learning all the skills and knowledge to allow you to become a highly skilled machinist, capable of complex, precision work. Skills will be developed through a combination of hands-on training and college based learning. You’ll study for nationally recognised qualifications with the potential to progress onto higher levels to complement the hands on work you will be exposed to in Dyson.
Your first 9 months will be spent at a SEMTA (Science, Engineering and Manufacturing Technologies Alliance) accredited local training provider, the British Engineering Manufacturers Association (BEMA), where you’ll find yourself experiencing a balance between workshop and classroom based learning, to gain the expert skills and qualifications required at Dyson. After this you’ll join us here at Dyson with a mentor to guide you and provide quality training - you will learn from the best as we want you to be the best. We’ll cover your tuition fees and support you all the way through your learning, so all you’ll need is the ambition, determination and tenacity to excel.
We’ll expect you to get hands-on and solve problems from the off, contributing as well as learning. Once immersed in the Product Prototyping Department you’ll find yourself supporting multiple RDD project teams with their varied requirements. You’ll be given responsibility to take your own initiative and contribute to the overall success of Dyson.
Years 1 & 2
• For the first 9 months you will be based full time at the British Engineering Manufacturers' Association (BEMA), a SEMTA accredited college based in Yate.
• Following this you will come to Dyson in Malmesbury where you will spend your time in the workshop, supported by a mentor, learning hands-on skills and making real parts. One day a week you will be day released back to BEMA where you will spend some time in the classroom continuing to learn the theory to support what you are doing in the workshop.
• Work at Dyson will involve cycling through a number of different workshop areas including general workshop, CNC 5-axis, EDM (Electrical Discharge Machining) and Metrology.
• At the end of the two years you will qualify for your NVQ Level 3 and a Technical Certificate EAL (Excellence, Achievement & Learning Limited) Level 3 Diploma in Engineering Technology.
Years 3 & 4
• Continue to work at Dyson in the workshop, supported by an in-house mentor, taking on increasing responsibility and complexity of work. Placements in different areas will continue to allow you to gain a wide overview and help develop your knowledge further as your area of interest becomes apparent.
• College based study will continue 1 day a week to gain a HNC qualification.
• Full time, permanent job at Dyson as a Specialist Workshop Machinist within the Product Prototyping Department.
• Opportunity to develop in other areas of Product Prototyping if vacancies arise.
• Where it makes business sense there may be the opportunity, depending on interest and ability, to continue study towards an HND or degree.
You can find out more about BEMA here: http://www.bema.co.uk/
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology).
We assess each application on its merits. Fundamentally we are looking for people who demonstrate the drive, enthusiasm, self-motivation and teamwork skills to become a machinist. You must be conscientious with good attention to detail and a strong draw towards practical, hands-on skills.
You'll need a minimum of 4 GCSEs at grade A*-C including English, Mathematics and Science. You'll also need to have completed 2 A Levels or equivalent, ideally in Engineering or a science-related subject, by September 2017. We're looking for an enthusiastic, motivated and proactive attitude, a concrete commitment to a career in engineering and a demonstrable interest in engineering. You’re not here on a whim. We’re looking for inventive souls who instinctively solve problems and make things work better.
Some previous machining or practical hands-on experience would also be beneficial.
As part of the assessment process, successful candidates will be required to attend an assessment day at BEMA in Yate and another at Dyson in Malmesbury (dates TBC).
Qualifications – all tuition fees paid.
Fully equipped toolbox and Dyson uniform provided.
Full time, permanent Dyson employee with a competitive salary and the opportunity to get involved in wider Dyson events, such as the Christmas and summer parties.
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career.
Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.