Lighting Research Scientist
£Competitive + 27 Days Holiday, Pension, Bonus
This is a specialist role sitting within the wider Lighting Research Team, primarily concerned with the delivery of fundamental research into the physiological and psychological effects of light.
You will be happy working in a fast paced, continuously changing landscape where decisions must often be taken based on limited information. Your work will have a significant impact on early stage product development of Dyson products.
Lighting Research works to ensure lighting projects push the boundaries of what is possible by developing the technological solutions to enable future generations of Dyson products. As a Research Engineer in the Lighting Category you will be part of a relatively small team, working closely with Lighting NPI on a small number of products delivering a big concept.
In this highly collaborative role you will be responsible for conducting fundamental research aiming to help set product specifications and support market claims in parallel with delivering the right technology solutions to enable them.
- Responsible for planning, executing and delivering fundamental research
- Pro-actively prioritise work inline with key category objectives and wider Dyson goals
- Promote the effective & efficient utilisation of Dyson resources
- Effectively work in close collaboration with other internal teams and external 3rd parties, ensuring that work will deliver valid and applicable conclusions
- Precise communication of actionable results to teams applying them to product
- Championing Dyson’s understanding in this area both externally and internally, pushing the understanding in the field and communicating this to claims, marketing and product teams.
- Accountable for delivery of projects on time, on budget and to specification.
- Bachelors or Masters degree or equivalent experience in life sciences or psychology.
- Must have industry experience applying consumer psychology or an understanding of underlying biology to products in a commercial environment.
- Familiarity with a wide verity of scientific methodologies including qualitative and quantitative psychological techniques used in consumer perceptual testing, statistical analysis and biological experiments.
- Track record of being able to simplify numerous complex and incomplete data sources into clear and actionable insights.
- Strong desire to scope work based on a deep understanding of the objectives of the work and the constraints from the wider business, including time, resource and product ambition.
- Creativity to apply skills to new areas and come up with simple solutions, fast within a complex and changing landscape.
- Background in the lighting industry, the built environment or health & wellness products
- An interest in photography would be advantageous.