Research Engineer (Mechanical)
The Engineer will work in the Mechanical Research team of the Floorcare category, applying their skills and experience to invent technologies that enhance the company’s technical advantage in future products. He/she will be responsible for researching and developing individual projects from their initial conception and through the various stages of technology development. They will also be required to work closely with their fellow team members and build strong collaborative links with other departments to help drive their investigations forward, while also providing technical support where possible.
RDD delivers an end-to-end process, taking a product from blank sheet of paper to boxed and ready to sell. And it’s the integral Research Department which sits at the very start of this, a group of creative technical innovators focused on identifying problems and developing new and novel technologies to overcome them. And we’re not slowing down; the Research department now has over 200 researchers & engineers working on over 150 live technology projects across Floorcare, Robotics, Personal Care, Environmental Control, Energy Storage and Lighting. We are actively engaged with over 20 Universities on early stage research while at the same time building a global network with SMEs and Start Up companies in our search for future technologies.
At Dyson we’re always searching for the next great idea and are actively encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. Every person here is passionate about what they do, and we’ve built a culture that celebrates creative, collaborative, and practical thinking. And at the core of this culture? Dyson’s world-class Research, Design and Development (RDD) division; the melting pot that has produced a long list of trend-setting products, all of them based on revolutionary technologies.
- Generate innovative concepts for new technologies.
- Identify experimental test programs and equipment to evaluate technologies.
- Conduct detailed practical and theoretical analysis of technologies.
- Design and build prototypes of chosen technologies.
- Analyse test results, summarise findings and communicate these to other members of RDD including senior managers and directors.
- Identify potential research areas which would benefit from new technology development.
- Degree qualified (or equivalent) in an Engineering discipline, preferably Mechanical, Aeronautical or Mechatronics.
- Applied engineering experience in post-graduate academia or industry, in particular with relation to concept development.
- Ability to design, build and test detailed prototypes/technology demonstrators based on theoretical predictions.
- Ability to develop bespoke methods and rigs for visualising/measuring physical properties
- Good analytical and problem solving ability, capable of logically assessing technologies using a variety of methods.
- Proven ability to work effectively both individually and in a team environment.
- Persistent nature and an inquisitive attitude.
- Good organisational skills - able to plan ahead, prioritise tasks, and co-ordinate with the work of others.
- Good communication and presentation skills. Able to translate and communicate technical information to project/research teams, managers and directors when required.
- Experience of scripting languages used to interact with control and automation devices.
- Experience of engineering analysis tools such as Minitab, LabVIEW, DIAdem, or Matlab.
- Six sigma qualified to green or black belt.
- Experience of Siemens NX.
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.