Research Scientist - Air Treatment
£Competitive + 27 Days Holiday, Pension, Bonus, Free Onsite Gym
The successful candidate will enable the delivery of novel air purification technologies from concept to an integrated solution in a growing team. Working in a cross functional team of scientists and engineers, performing early stage research to support new product innovation, the candidate will be required to design, build and execute experiments with gas phase pollutants.
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology).
The building is the heartbeat of Dyson, with over 2,500 people, including James himself, spending their days strategising, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. From 2017, our HQ will begin doubling its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
It takes real ingenuity to find new ways of doing things. Smarter technologies. Lighter, stronger materials. And quieter, cleaner power systems. Our Research & Science teams – scientists, mechanical engineers and specialists across each product category – are the experimenters and risk-takers behind Dyson problem-solving. Whether it’s in-house development, sourcing outside technology partners, or driving collaboration with partner universities, they lead the way in finding the next generation of Dyson technology. Which is why any one of them can find themselves presenting to James Dyson himself.
At Dyson we are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We’re creative, collaborative, practical and enthusiastic. But most of all we’re hugely passionate about what we do.
Experimentation, modelling, characterisation and optimisation of air purification technologies to meet agreed specifications.
- Collection and reporting of results to enable technical and product design decisions.
- Deliver specialist knowledge to engineers and management team as part of project progress reviews.
- Collaboration with external suppliers to identify relevant technologies.
- Awareness of emerging technologies and the drive to generate new technology concepts.
- Delivery of solutions to time, cost and specification in this evolving environment
- Degree qualified (or equivalent) in a relevant scientific discipline (e.g. Chemistry, Physics)
- Excellent knowledge and understanding of fundamental scientific theories relevant to air purification
- Willing to challenge assumptions or methods, pre-empt problems and find solutions
- Demonstrated capability in test method development for technology optimisation and integration.
- Experience of gas phase chemical analysis techniques (e.g. GCMS)
- Intellectually sharp with a passion for applied science and technical problem solving.
- Good organisational skills, able to plan ahead, prioritise tasks and co-ordinate with the work of others.
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.