£Competitive + 27 Days Holiday, Pension, Bonus
The role reports to a Senior Scientist leading a general science team within New Technology Research; the role requires skills and experience in either analytical chemistry or microbiology from a healthcare, personal care, food science or pharmaceutical background.
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology).
The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Over 2,000 people, including James himself, spend their days strategising, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. From 2016, our HQ will begin doubling its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
It takes real ingenuity to find new ways of doing things. Smarter technologies. Lighter, stronger materials. And quieter, cleaner power systems. Our Research & Science teams – scientists, mechanical engineers and specialists across each product category – are the experimenters and risk-takers behind Dyson problem-solving. Whether it’s in-house development, sourcing outside technology partners, or driving collaboration with partner universities, they lead the way in finding the next generation of Dyson technology. Which is why any one of them can find themselves presenting to James Dyson himself.
The Research Scientist will be expected to develop, design and deliver experimental programmes and testing methodology in conjunction with engineering colleagues to develop and evaluate Dyson's devices. A strong ability to communicate to a non-scientific audience is key, as are strong practical skills. The role requires a large amount of cross disciplinary working so a desire to try and to learn is essential. Flexibility and an ability to use previous experience on new problems is very much desirable along with a lateral approach to problem solving.
- Research and development of lab based methods and experiments for category projects.
- Collection and reporting of results to aid product design decisions.
- Lab maintenance including schedules for equipment calibration and material supply.
- Deliver specialist knowledge to Engineers and management team as part of project progress reviews.
- Support marketing, sales and other functions with science knowledge as required.
- Experience of microbiology in an R&D environment
- Passion for science and problem solving in a product development context
- Working knowledge and understanding of fundamental scientific theories specifically in the field of microbiology, biological science or hygiene
Knowledge of standards and procedures required for the efficient and safe running of a microbiology laboratory
- Creative problem solver who is intellectually sharp.
Good organisational skills, able to plan ahead, prioritise tasks and co-ordinate with the work of others.
Clear logical thought and attention to detail.
Good communication and presentation skills.
- Able to execute experimental programs and complete analysis of the results, summarising findings and making recommendations.
Willing to challenge assumptions or methods, pre-empt problems and find solutions.
- Good analytical ability and ELISA experience
- Degree qualified in a science discipline
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.