Retail Store Manager - Tysons Corner Center
Competitive salary plus sign-on bonus for selected candidate!
Tysons Corner, VA
Dyson makes machines. People make Dyson. Come join us.
World Class Training
Employee Machine Purchase Program
As the Dyson Store Manager in our brand new, consumer experience store in Tysons Corner Center, you will have full accountability for your store which encompasses every trading activity within including maintaining the overall Dyson reputation. You must be a strong people manager that knows how to build, train, inspire and lead a strong team. You must be able to prioritize a broad spectrum of work both inside and outside of the physical store environment as you will pivot from day to day store operations to participating in business reviews with Dyson leadership. Behind the scenes, the Retail Store Manager will oversee operations such as inventory and visual merchandising, and you will work closely with the marketing, PR, digital, sales and finance teams and leadership to develop a frequent calendar of events and promotions. Jointly with other members of leadership you will define and monitor key metrics that define success, from traffic generation to demos delivered to units sold to owner / shopper feedback. You will report results and recommend relevant actions to management.
Ultimately, the Retail Store Manager will be responsible for leading a team that is able to create shopper experiences that defy convention and are unique and new. Your love for technology and design means you will know each Dyson product inside and out and will be the first to learn, share, and inspire your team members about new initiatives. You must be an enthusiastic champion for the reputation inside and outside Dyson.
Dyson is a global technology company. Using a desire to make things work better as a catalyst for invention, our team of 3,000 engineers and scientists are passionate about developing technology that solves the problems others often ignore. From the world’s first bagless vacuum cleaner, to hand dryers that use 420mph sheets of air to remove moisture from hands, to a completely re-thought hair dryer with its motor in the handle, we are relentless about engineering better solutions. Dyson spends $8.8million a week on research and development and works with more than 40 universities worldwide to develop early-stage technologies.
Dyson launched in the US in 2002, with the DC07 vacuum cleaner. Within 2 years, it was market share leader. Now, the US team is nearly 1,000 strong, with offices in Chicago, IL; Aurora, IL; San Francisco, CA; and Dyson people around the entire country. And we are still growing. Dyson US is poised to double its footprint, and take on new categories. Already a target for our competitors, challenging times are ahead. And our battle-hungry US team is fired up.
People leadership – Lead and develop a team of high performers
- Lead a fun, engaging and ambitious in-store culture ensuring the team is involved, valued and recognized for their contribution and is regularly invited to share feedback to improve Store performance
- Spend time coaching Assistant Store Managers, identifying skills and opportunities for development; provide advice and guidance on staff issues when needed
- Ensure seven day leadership for the store; oversee the creation of the store schedule to ensure leadership coverage for all hours of operation
- Own line management responsibility for the Assistant Manager team; ensure clear ownership and accountability of various Operating Plan headings are given to Assistant Managers
- Ensure that there is a communication and engagement strategy to ensure Store staff are aware of their measures of performance and bonus objectives and fully informed of promotions/changes/current focuses
- Develop and execute a strategy to hire and retain the best talent; be able to spot and develop talent in Store to ensure a succession plan
- Work with HR team to ensure that all performance and behavioral concerns are being addressed and that the necessary tools to track HR issues are in place
On-going store operations – maintain a model of operational excellence and flawless retail execution
- Translate the strategic goals into retail operational plans to achieve the required targeted growth in customer experience, sales and profit; identify and optimize promotional opportunities; develop a realistic retail operating plan for the short term (12 months) and medium term (2-3 years)
- Be fully versed in the content of the Operating Manual and ensure every element is executed; ensure highest degree of retail execution on a daily basis through Assistant Manager and wider team
- Ensure that the retail operation complies to all policies and procedures relating to Security, Health and Safety; influence any changes necessary to meet statutory requirements, ensuring minimum risk to staff members and the business
- Partner with IT team regarding any required changes or upgrades to store POS or IT systems
- Maintain and constantly develop innovative and cost effective stock generation; monitor stock weekly to achieve bottom line sales budget against monthly targets
- Maintain a tight control on all expenditures, working with the Head of Retail Operations and Finance to measure overall success
- Work closely with third parties to ensure they are spending in line with the budgets provided; ensure the correct procurement process is followed for new contracts/relationships
- Seek opportunities to drive efficiencies and reduce spend
Drive iconic service and sales
- Deliver a sustainable retail platform that is efficient, ever evolving and that exceeds our shopper’s expectations, whilst balancing this with a safe, compliant and cost controlled culture
· Execute plans for live events to ensure theatre and education for Dyson shoppers
- Review shopping patterns, to ensure we have the right people in the right place at the right time; review colleague demographics, shopper demographics and the ratio of full time part time mix (dependent on market) to ensure the best experience possible every day
- Build and maintain great relationships with internal and external partnerships to influence and contribute to the development of the business
- Be aware of competitors and wider market
- Drive the sharing & delivery of best practice & act as external ambassador for the business in local forums
- Lead and converse with senior colleagues up to and including Director level; be comfortable hosting store visits with senior leadership and VIPs
Minimum of 6 years of experience in a customer-facing, retail setting required
4+ years of retail management experience required
Experience in leading all sales and operational aspects of a retail store required
Experience in managing work schedules, stock management, compliance, health and safety, security
Experience in developing, planning and executing events/driving interest and footfall
Experience in developing promotional programs that drive sales, either direct or through partners
Proven experience in launching new products to market
Experience managing a P & L required
Experience working with or in a premium or luxury brand preferred
Dyson US monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries, holidays and retirement plans. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy profit-related bonuses and life and disability cover. But financial rewards are just the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to fueling and realizing ambition.
Dyson is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment with Dyson and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, please send an e-mail with your contact information, the job number of the position for which you are interested in applying, and the nature of your request to firstname.lastname@example.org or call(312) 706-2260. Determinations of requests for reasonable accommodation are made on a case-by-case basis.