Senior Electronics Engineer
£Competitive + Pension, Bonus, 27 Days Holiday
The primary purpose of the role is to act as the lead for in reviewing all electrical, electronic and software systems to ensure that no safety concerns exist when the product goes into production. The role is independent of design responsibility although there will be input into the education of the electronics team regarding our expectations for safety, the creation of standards and best practice guides for both the UK and South East Asia.
The successful candidate will need to be able to identify and present the key technical risks of electronics systems to non-technical personnel and support the category safety engineers during the development of new products and for any change requests or concessions thereafter.
Battery powered products, and in particular lithium ion batteries, are key to the future success of Dyson but they do also present a risk in terms of safety should they go wrong. A key element of this role is to ensure that the battery power systems are as safe as possible at launch and once in the market. This activity will require robust interrogation of designs and supporting test methodology and a strong continual analysis of the assembly and production methods down to cell level.
Where a field failure requires an electrical investigation the successful candidate will guide the field safety engineers through the test methodology and appropriate analysis techniques and support the interpretation of results.
- Extensive experience of medium power (up to 3kW, mains and low voltage) electronic and electrical systems, likely to have been gained both at a design level and in a supervisory and approval capacity.
- Confidence to be a strong voice, to define and hold the line with regard to the safety of electronics and batteries against departmental pressure or process variation within Dyson.
- Experience of reporting and communicating with all levels of the company and the ability to present complex issues in language that can be understood by non-electronics personnel.
- Needs to be a self-starter and to be able manage multiple projects and technologies in a fast moving environment as well as managing day-to-day scheduling and priorities
- The role will require some level of travel to Singapore for reviews and training.