Safety Compliance Engineer
In 2000, Dyson moved production from Malmesbury to Malaysia to be closer to our supply chains and open up international growth. The small team of 10 has now grown to almost 1,200 – forming Dyson’s second biggest global hub. Located in the exhilarating industrial heart of Johor, it’s also home to RDD, IT, operations, finance, creative and HR.
The RDD facility is central to our plans to launch 100 new machines in the next four years. To meet these ambitions, we recently expanded the site to 30,000m², with 50 advanced technology labs and 700 new engineers. In the Dyson world, there’s no more exciting place to be.
For a Dyson engineer, breaking the rules is part of the job. It’s what makes Dyson machines different. But the next great Dyson idea can’t change the world from a lab. To ensure our machines can be sold, there are some rules we need to stick to. From reviewing initial concepts to testing final components in our accredited test laboratories, our Compliance and Approvals team is a critical voice during the design phase. By making sure Dyson machines are never kept off the shelf by global standards and legislation, they play vital role in supporting Dyson’s growth.
- Determines product safety approval test scope, develops a preliminary plan of investigation, and determines project specifications such as cost, lead time, and sample requirements by analyzing product category, available supplemental data, product specification and construction.
- Manage all pre-compliance, compliance and other product safety related testing. Ensure all test activities are carried out in a timely manner in accordance to test plan.
- Ensure all the test activities are carried out strictly according to the appropriate international test standards (UL507 / UL1278 / UL1017 / UL859 / IEC/EN 60335 / JIS / EU directives).
- Coordinates laboratory activities by scheduling and reviewing work of laboratory technicians and engineering support staff, and establishing completion dates. Coordinates administrative aspects of project management.
- Examines test samples and read measuring instruments, blueprints, schematics, wiring diagrams, and operational instructions. Evaluates test performance, provides feedback to project design team regarding issues and/or problems with test, data sheets and reviews test and construction data issued by Safety Compliance Technicians.
- Operates designated machines that may include electrical test equipment, temperature indicating devices, meters, hand tools, personal computer, and special laboratory equipment such as oscilloscopes, power meters, power sources, distortion analyzers and luminance meters.
- Collaborate with Senior Safety Compliance Engineer / Manager for major failures and test concerns. Ensure all new failures are consolidated through appropriate communication method to Project Design Team for immediate attention.
- Collaborate with approval agencies and 3rd party test laboratories for the purposes of obtaining testing, evaluation services and product safety certification.
- Collaborate with company country distributors for countries product safety approval/ certificate renewal application.
- To drive for improvement in global product certification processes and efficient safety test methodologies of IECEE – CTF CB Scheme & ETL – SAT Program.
- Integrates continuous improvement concepts and techniques into all aspects of the job.
- Performs other duties as directed.
- Candidate must possess at least a Bachelor's Degree/ Master in Engineering (Electrical/Electronic) or equivalent.
- Candidates with more than 1 year(s) of working experience with electrical/electronic background, involving testing or R&D environment are preferred. Candidates without or with lesser experience are still encouraged to apply.
- Dealing with approval agencies and 3rd party test laboratories and have knowledge on CB scheme, SMT or ETL (SAT) scheme will be an added advantage.
- Fluent in spoken and written English. Excellent ability to understand and formally discuss contents of high volumes of international safety standards.
- Detailed knowledge of the technical vocabulary common to the appropriate discipline.
- Highly motivated, internally driven individual with good communication skills, good planning and organizing capabilities and able to work within a team.
- Self-driven with strong attention to details and must possess character of high integrity.
- Able to work independently without supervision. Previous team management skill is not compulsory but will be an advantage.
- Possess excellent communication skills in English and computer literate with good understanding in Microsoft Office.
- Demonstrated ability to apply project-handling concepts in use in area of expertise.
- Knowledge in product safety certification would be an added advantage