Product Safety Engineer - Quality
Dyson recognise that simply meeting approvals requirements does not necessarily make a product safe to use. We therefore go beyond the minimum requirements to ensure that our products are safe. The primary function of this role is to ensure that all potential safety concerns that have been identified are closed out prior to the start of production. The role will work closely with the safety team in the UK to monitor the design as it matures and test results as they become available to ensure that the concerns are closed. As the design evolves and the manufacturing process is put into place the successful candidate will also need to continually review for new concerns and ensure that the evidence for closure is valid even though the final design position may still be under change.
The position sits within the safety team which in turn is part of the Global Quality team.
Where testing is being carried out to mitigate a safety concern, you will need to review both the test methods and the results to ensure that the information is both complete and relevant.
You will monitor all tests on the product to ensure safety is maintained, using established processes within Dyson. You will audit all production and manufacturing processes for any product safety related concerns, ensuring these have been documented, reviewed and closed before start of production SOP.
Where concerns have been identified, you will be responsible for liaising with the UK Senior Safety Engineers as well as local teams to introduce appropriate quality controls. If a field investigation requires input from Malaysia, the Safety Engineer will be the point of contact and will help drive to gather the required information.
All product safety related concerns must be documented clearly as well as the mitigations of why they are acceptable, this will require extensive use of tools such as FMEA and Teamcenter™ and the completion of technical reports for each project
- An Engineer with good experience and a broad understanding of mechanical and electrical engineering.
- Experience of working with batteries and motors is desirable.
- Degree qualified or trained.
- Meticulous attention to detail.
- Excellent communication skills, both written and oral at a technical and non-technical level.
- A self-starter able to manage their own day to day timetable and respond to changing priorities.
- Candidates must have the ability to work on multiple projects at the same time and highly adaptable to change with little notice.
- The successful candidate will need to be very strong willed in order to resist potential pressure to meet project deadlines and to maintain safety requirements.
- Highly motivated to work independently.
- Comfortable to talk to a wide range of people, from the production operators to Design Engineers and Managers to effectively resolve safety issues.