Starting salary will be based on experience and credentials
Ann Arbor, MI
The Process Engineer will contribute to development of processes and battery prototypes. This position will be part of Dyson's operations at Sakti3 in Ann Arbor, MI.
For the past five years, Dyson’s in-house battery team has been optimizing and developing battery technology for cordless machines, and robots in its advanced battery labs at its Malmesbury headquarters. Sakti3 is a research forefront of Dyson’s efforts in developing solid state batteries that are safer, more reliable and longer-lasting with higher energy density, for Dyson’s new and existing technologies.
Sakti3 Process Department consists of a prototyping team, a materials characterization team, and a group of specialists. Scientists, engineers, and technicians in each sub-group work on all aspects of prototyping solid batteries ranging from designing experiments to analysing results, from processing raw materials to building complete battery cells. The team is responsible for delivering physical prototypes, processes, and material characterization results, and also responsible for contributing to process development by working with other teams within Sakti3 and Dyson.
The Process Engineer is responsible for contributing to development of processes and battery prototypes. This person works in the prototyping team, and work with teams of engineers and technicians within Sakti3 and Dyson. Some of the main duties of this position include the following:
- Analyze experimental results
- Develop, implement and execute new processes
- Troubleshoot process and equipment issues
- Write reports and give presentations to the management team
- Such other comparable duties as may be required by the Director of Process Engineering
- Bachelor degree in science or engineering of physics, chemistry, materials or related fields
- Proven record of delivering outcomes in process and materials research
- Basic understanding of electrochemistry
- Basic understanding of vacuum process
- Basic understanding of materials science
- Statistical analysis
- Invent and improve: Problem solving, tenacity.
- Risk: Accountability, drive for results.
- Thinking long term: Analytical thinking.
- Communicate: Clear communication.
- Thinking long term: Planning and organizing.
- Invent and improve: Innovation.
- Passion: Motivating others.
- Deep understanding of vacuum process
- Deep understanding of electrochemistry
Sakti, a Workplace Excellence Awardee (2016), has been recognized with IHS CERAWeek’s Energy Innovation Pioneer Award (2014), by MIT’s Technology Review Magazine as one of the Top 50 Most Innovative Companies (2012) and World’s Top Ten, representing the “energy” category (2011). The senior team has over 100 years’ collective experience in research, manufacturing, and leadership. The company is a spinout of the University of Michigan, where its founding team created laboratories, published over 100 papers on batteries and related mathematics and physics, and demonstrated its first early prototypes. Financed by Khosla Ventures, Dyson, General Motors Ventures, Beringea and Itochu Technology Ventures, the company has been recognized for its innovative approaches in the Wall Street Journal, Fortune, Scientific American, Inc., Time, Automotive Engineering, the New York Times, Washington Post, NPR and other media.