Business Analytics Graduate - Sales
PRIORITY APPLICATION DEADLINE: September 23, 2017
APPLICATION CLOSING DEADLINE: October 21, 2017
Program start: June/July 2018
Dyson is transforming. Over the last five years, we’ve expanded into four new product categories – taking us well beyond vacuum cleaners – and we’re just getting started. With new product categories comes a new data-driven strategy to enhance our customer journey and get the right product to the right owner. In this role, you will seek to provide actionable reporting and insight into our sales-out organization, defining when, where and how we focus and invest to efficiently grow our business. You will work collaboratively with Field Sales, Sales, National Accounts and Marketing teams to provide clear reporting; including insights and actions, to ensure we are making the right decisions and are grounded in data to drive towards our sales ambitions. Throughout this 2.5 year program, you can expect to complete a wide-range of work across the sales organization, partnering with my VP of Sales and other senior executives and having real responsibility for driving the business forward through analytics.
Dyson is a global technology company. Using a desire to make things work better as a catalyst for invention, our team of 3,000 engineers and scientists are passionate about developing technology that solves the problems others often ignore. From the world’s first bagless vacuum cleaner, to hand dryers that use 420mph sheets of air to remove moisture from hands, to a completely re-thought hair dryer with its motor in the handle, we are relentless about engineering better solutions. Dyson spends $8.8 million a week on research and development and works with more than 40 universities worldwide to develop early-stage technologies.
Dyson launched in the US in 2002, with the DC07 vacuum cleaner. Within 2 years, it was market share leader. Now, the US team is nearly 1,000 strong, with offices in Chicago, IL; Aurora, IL; San Francisco, CA; and Dyson people around the entire country. And we are still growing. Dyson US is poised to double its footprint, and take on new categories. Already a target for our competitors, challenging times are ahead. And our battle-hungry US team is fired up.
Our sales teams epitomize the entrepreneurial spirit that has defined Dyson since day one: ambitious, commercially savvy, and strategically agile. We work with some of the world’s biggest retailers, implementing the most profitable long term business plans and driving innovative ways to put our technology into more hands. It requires managing multiple networks of Dyson people. And overseeing many different areas – from in store fixtures to online activation – with the goal of elevating the brand and inspiring new ways to put Dyson technology into people’s homes.
You can expect to be placed in roles that capitalize on your existing skills and stretch you out of your comfort zone, supported by personal and professional development and mentors to help you achieve success. This role is a good fit if you are someone that is hungry for data, thrives on insights, and always dives deeper to understand the “why” behind numbers. You will be partnering with senior executives of the business and should be ready to apply your current skills, learn new functions, tackle business challenges and drive your own career.
The variety of “mission’s” means that no two roles will be alike, but you could expect some of the following responsibilities:
Ongoing Sales Results Analysis and Reporting
- Provide on-going retail sales reporting and analysis for the field sales and regional teams
- Collect, distribute, and present weekly sales results, reporting on attainment to forecast and key drivers
- Monitor retailer sales and inventories; assess risks and opportunities; communicate and implement best profit and high customer satisfaction solutions
- Synthesize data to share with the field sales team and sales leadership to drive insight and prioritization
- Prepare presentations and reports to disseminate data to the field; Present findings in key forums
Conduct Ad Hoc Data Analysis
- Provide analysis and feedback on store level events including return on investment for these events
- Work closely with Finance Team to analyze profitability of in-store investments
- Oversees and prioritize ad hoc reporting and analysis requests; conduct analysis of relevant sell out data to drive strategy and decision-making
- Provide store audit results, with clear insights and actions
Establish Sales Targets and Track Attainment
- Work with sales leadership to establish key KPIs for the sales team
- Work closely with partners in finance to utilize historical sales data and factor in promotion, seasonality and key attributes to establish sales targets down to store level
- Track attainment of targets and work with sales compensation analyst to capture attainment and determine appropriate compensation for applicable sales incentive
- Work closely with third party partners to drive reporting and analysis and hold their teams accountable for KPI attainment and associated incentive payouts (as applicable)
- Works with appropriate cross functional teams to maintain master data related to Sell Out operations
- Shepherds adherence to processes and procedures related to data management
Ongoing Partnership with Sales and Marketing Teams
- Partner with the field sales team to share results in a meaningful way, relating to their roles
- Seek consensus and approval from internal stakeholders for proposed plans; negotiate with accounts to achieve company's best position
- Partner with accounts to help understand how sell-out teams are driving their business
- Provide executive summaries for leadership team to understand high level sell-out performance and drivers
Our most successful Dyson employees have more than just academic smarts – and we’ll expect you to have practical knowledge and experience that will help you contribute to our mantra of ‘wrong-thinking’ and doing things better. You’ll also need a head for data, great communication skills, grit, and a desire to learn. In this role, experience with SAP, tableau, and retail / sales is preferred. Some experience of a busy, deadline-driven environment would be great. But it’s not vital – we’ll teach you everything you need to know. It’s all about showing a passion for analytics, sales, and the Dyson brand.
We’ll expect a lot from you. And no day will be the same as the last.