Senior Accounting Manager
Starting salary will be determined based on experience and credentials.
An exciting opportunity has been created for a Finance professional to join the US Finance team in Chicago! The role is responsible for ensuring that the monthly financials for Dyson US are free from material error, whilst being supported by efficient and robust processes. Reporting to the Controller, the Sr. Accounting Manager will lead day-to-day accounting operations for Dyson USA, while providing inspirational leadership to a team of 2 staff members. This role will ensure that Dyson has the systems and procedures in place to support effective internal controls and deliver timely and accurate reporting. The role requires an individual with the mentality for continuous improvement to processes and ways of working. He/she should also have the desire to fully understand the financials and be a value added partner to Commercial Finance customers in the market.
This role will manage a team of two Finance team members
- Lead the following processes: Tax, Month End Close, Financial Controls Compliance, Optimization initiatives
- Develop and build a high performing team through effective team meetings and communications
- Set functional objectives and longer term goals in line with local/Group initiatives & requirements
- Consistently monitor and track development goals, performance goals and action steps on Personal Development Plans
- Communicate in a clear, concise manner and create an atmosphere where people can express themselves
- Inspire confidence and motivate people by providing a balance of support and autonomy
- Ensure that the team is engaged and motivated including being involved in decision making when relevant
- Continually improve operational efficiency while ensuring adequate internal controls are in place
- Examine and challenge current processes, working with stakeholders to establish and implement improved/efficient ways of working
- Work with internal/external auditors to conduct an effective and efficient audit process
- Serve as Finance Project Lead on various Dyson growth initiatives and serve as the Finance expert, while ensuring back office support, implementing controls, and involving team members as appropriate
Month End Close
- Month end close process and prepare management accounts in adherence to the Group timetable
- Preparation of reporting packs for review by market Controller and CFO
- Business Partner to the market Finance team to optimise key month end processes and add value to reporting
- Assist with optimization and standardization of month end processes across a number of markets
- Oversee and perform the period-end and year-end accounting close and ensure an accurate and efficient process
- Ensure best practice processes and policies are enforced and constantly challenged
- Lead the tax function for the US market in order to optimize efficiency and ensure compliance
- Provide oversight over multi-state sales tax reporting for three entities
- Design organizational structure to maximize efficiency of tax processes
- Ensure accurate and timely filing of 1099 filings and unclaimed property reports
- Liaise with external tax preparers and Group Finance to ensure that federal & state income tax returns are filed timely and accurately
Financial Controls Compliance
• Drive compliance of various standards and requirements throughout the business
• Create and implement operational improvements and develop documentation to support these improvements
• Streamline processes and demonstrate judgement in selecting methods and techniques for obtaining solutions
- Work with the wider FCoE teams globally to ensure adoption of standardized best practice processes
- Ensure integrity of financial data and compliance to internal controls
- Provision of accurate and timely cost center management information and variance analysis
- Ensure that all reporting is reconciled to the underlying systems and completion of relevant balance sheet account reconciliations
- Ensure that all journals are appropriately supported and reviewed and that all postings are in line with Group accounting policies
- External Audit point of contact
- Relish the opportunity to pick up new activities that fall broadly in the purpose of the role.
- Fulfill any other ad hoc responsibilities as directed by the Controller or CFO.
Ability to travel.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting or related field required, CPA or MBA preferred
- 10+ years experience in accounting required, with at least 5 years in a management/leadership role
- 2-3 yrs public accounting experience strongly preferred
- Experience with SAP preferred
- Prior experience in month end close, project management, and sales finance processes required
- Organised self-starter with strong ability to prioritise and work independently
- Strong attention to detail and accuracy
- Ability to project manage independently and across numerous departments
- The ability to work and lead others in a dynamic, fast moving environment.
- Excellent people skills enabling continued support, motivation and development of the team.
- Strong communication skills with the ability to forge effective/collaborative relationships throughout the business and with external contacts alike. Able to offer clear and concise guidance
- Ability to review and challenge understandings to propose change.
- Proactive approach to developing and enhancing systems and processes.
- Be able to manage change and also manage others to adapt quickly to change.
- Demonstrates perseverance to see tasks through to completion, and motivate people into action
- Proactively highlights and progresses solutions for issues identified
- Capable of working effectively with finance and non-finance managers
Dyson US monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries, holidays and retirement plans. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy profit-related bonuses and life and disability cover. But financial rewards are just the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to fueling and realizing ambition.
Dyson is committed to providing reasonable accommodations to individuals with disabilities. If you are interested in applying for employment with Dyson and need a reasonable accommodation for any part of the application process, please send an e-mail with your contact information, the job number of the position for which you are interested in applying, and the nature of your request to firstname.lastname@example.org or call (312) 706-2260. Determinations of requests for reasonable accommodation are made on a case-by-case basis.
Dyson is an Equal Opportunity Employer of Minorities, Females, Protected Veterans, and Individuals with Disabilities.