Senior Cell Engineer
£ Competitive + bonus + pension + 27 days holiday
Reporting to the Energy Storage Research Manager, you will join a team of electrochemists, mechanical and electronic engineers in Dyson’s Strategy and Research Group. Your focus will be on the development of novel cell designs to meet Dyson’s Energy Storage requirements. In this role you will have access to the latest technologies from around the world and develop the next generation of batteries. You will:
- Gain a clear understanding of Dyson’s Energy storage requirements and apply your knowledge to develop custom cells, enabling the next generation of our products.
- Use a combination of practical experience, modelling and theoretical knowledge to optimise electrode design and prototyping.
- Apply strong characterisation skills to analyse electrodes utilising both physical and electrochemical tools. You will be able to apply these results to drive cell performance.
- Work within a small team to scale electrode designs from small scale batches to prototype cells. Utilising process insight and applied knowledge you will facilitate an accurate and efficient transfer of process.
Education and experience:
- Degree in a physical science discipline (e.g. Physics; Chemistry; Chemical Engineering; Engineering)
- Experience in developing polymer rich electrodes.
- Experience in developing lithium metal cells.
- Experience in preparing high solid content electrodes/coatings.
- Experience of a variety of electrode preparation techniques at both lab and pilot scale (5 years+). Particular interest in alternative manufacturing routes, for example: extrusion, spray deposition, screen printing etc.
- Experience of electrode characterisation, including: SEM, BET, mercury porisometry and impedance analysis, electronic conductivity
- Experience of scaling cell design and production methods from small scale tests, to prototype and finally commercial production.
Essential behavioural skills:
- Excellent analytical ability and attention to detail.
- Ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal format.
- To be able to multi-task and plan effectively when working with a variety of project teams in an often high-pressure, competitive environment in an organised manner. • Ability to identify and solve problems independently.
- Excellent time management skills and ability to prioritise tasks.
- Excellent team working skills.