Senior Consumer Experience Scientist
As our ambitions increase we will advance ever further into the worlds of connectivity, sensor technology, machine learning and AI, as well as deepen our work on motors, batteries and hardware. It’s vital that we have the best spaces and brightest minds all around the globe.
There was a time in our history when all people knew Dyson for was vacuums. But what began with one man and one idea inside a coach house in Wiltshire, has since transformed into an 8,000-strong global technology company spanning multiple product categories and more than 70 countries around the world.
But the transformation of Dyson is far from over. Our technology pipeline stretches 25 years into the future, and will see more new product categories emerge – four by 2020 alone.
Reporting functionally into the Head of Consumer Experience team lead in the UK, and administratively into the Head of Category in Shanghai, tthis role will sit within a team of other specialists covering all facets of consumer behaviour & product experience. This individual will be responsible for developing and leading capability integration of perception and sensory science techniques in the Shanghai enabling the definition and measurement of critical consumer interaction cues for Dyson products.
Dyson is a fast paced environment with high demands on quality and novel innovation. It is known for its fresh approach to Design. The successful candidate needs to thrive under pressure and be able to deftly juggle priorities and flex to the dynamic and agile environment that comes with this creative setting.
The Consumer Experience team are the lynch pin between all other functions driving most action at the front end of innovation; setting the benefit strategy and defining the white space opportunity for USPs across a number of categories. Critically, this team set the right technical measures and work packages to qualify a product and by going beyond diagnosis of specific behavioural symptoms they are able to drive a long term platform for desired product experience that inspires Dyson technologists & Designers to step change performance
Within this role, there is a critical need for development and implementation of new techniques and approaches to numerically assess and drive product design development and optimisation. The role calls for a self-starter with plenty of creativity and technical mastery in equal measure; able to lead by example, unafraid to try new things or new approaches.
The successful candidate will have significant research experience with a wide view of diagnostic techniques and creative applications across qualitative and quantitative research methodologies, able to marry technical insight to consumer perception seamlessly, creating consumer centric design metrics that uncover unobvious insight that amplify user benefits
- Work continuously with the Head of Consumer Experience, Head of Category, New Product Development and Research to develop a user benefit strategy built around improving the consumer experience & maximising perception cues within our products.
- Provide exceptional communication cross functionally (Research, NPI, Marketing and Consumer Insights) to enable rapid utilisation of insights and maximum impact for projects in line with overall scope and priorities.
- Responsible for planning and executing user focused research projects across a variety of briefs, leading to technical product specifications and recommendations to the design teams.
- Expected to quickly spot opportunity for integration of innovative research methodologies in projects and be committed to building the capability of the consumer experience team to best represent the Chinese consumer requirements in market.
- Must have experience of working with remote teams and managing complex stakeholder relationships
- Should be experienced in both strategic development and tactical project implementation
- Must be driven by continual learning, not constrained by current methodologies and be able to learn from failure.
- Should have a working knowledge of a variety of techniques to bring out the deep mechanical and user behavioural insight needed to drive product development forward.
- Must have a track record of being able to simplify numerous complex data sources and behavioural learning into clear and actionable insights.
- Must have at least 5 yrs experience in a research role, ideally in multiple industries and including experience of sensory application in non-food industry.
- A background in Air quality/ thermal comfort research and/or skin science would be advantageous.
Dyson China monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries. Beyond that, you’ll enjoy an annual bonus, and life and medical insurance. But financial benefits are just the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our creative engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to fueling and realizing ambition.