Senior Cost Engineer with Silicon expertise
£Competitive + 27 Days Holiday + Bonus + Pension
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology).
The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Over 2,000 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. From 2016, our HQ will begin doubling its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
The role covers multiple product categories at Dyson and includes cost estimating and creating should costs, supplier quotation reviews and challenging, manufacturing process cost analysis, associated capital expenditure planning and justification, business case rationales and key milestone/stage gate deliverable ownership.
Support projects in building high quality ground-up cost estimates and should costs for new projects being developed by NPI and Research teams. The roles will involve close collaboration with Engineering and Procurement as well as with global vendors and their supply chains to derive detailed costing models and identity areas for improvement.
Conduct reviews with Engineering to estimate future product costs and understand the associated risks and opportunities which could impact a product as it progresses through the development cycle.
Work closely with Engineering, Operations, Procurement and Finance to agree achievable, but stretching target costs. Target setting is essential and you will also need to drive the teams to deliver at each subsequent milestone once the target is set.
Influence product specifications by using your experience of product development to influence the product definition where alteration to specification can lead to a big cost.
Work in close cooperation with Dyson engineering and manufacturing in the UK and SEA to manage and control cost variations along the new product introduction chain.
Ensure timely delivery of robust high quality cost intelligence data to shape the decisions made both at a strategic level but also assembly by assembly and part by part basis too through effective management of your team resources.
Work with research to understand technology roadmaps and emerging technologies and outline influencing cost factors that have potential to save money through design considerations.
Actively seek out, and drive and be responsible for the implementation of cost reduction measures to improve product profitability. You will lead the way with this core part of the role steering the engineers in the right direction, helping to prioritise the activity undertaken by the team and highlight how important cost is across the department.
Drive the adoption of recently introduced cost estimation industry standard software that will enable end to end cost development and historical data on each incremental cost change on a part by part level. Powerful analytics will be at engineer’s fingertips to help analyse trends and identify high reward areas to focus resource.
Own the development of better methods of sharing data and information between design, procurement and manufacturing teams across all Dyson product categories. Prepare reports to the exec which need careful consideration and planning.
Represent the Cost Management Team at project milestone reviews. Have a clear understanding of what makes up the overall product cost and what drives any variance to target. Be prepared to answer questions, be robustly challenged and challenge others at this cross-functional meeting and deliver any cost actions arising from these discussions.
Skills, Experience and Qualifications
• A degree in electronics, electrical engineering or another directly relevant subject is needed with financial/business qualifications an added benefit.
• Analytical ability demonstrated through previous engineering work.
• Direct experience working within the semiconductor industry with a deep understanding of development, manufacturing, packaging and test of semiconductors. Familiarity with key industry players and influencing factors.
• Experience of working with and influencing managers and executives outside your direct reporting line.
• Experience within a high volume manufacturing environment will be a key requirement for the role.
• Strong knowledge of alternative manufacturing techniques and processes with global impact.
• Proven track record in working to tight timescales within a project programme, managing your budget and prioritising to deliver cost effective results.
• Tenacity in getting to understand an issue and challenging others in a constructive manner.
• Previous experience in working within a cost environment is essential.
• Strong communication skills in one-to-one situations, in a team environment and when presenting to senior managers and executives.
• The ability to provide technical support and direction to project teams.
• Have excellent analytical ability and attention to detail with a strong affinity for numbers.
• Excellent team working and interpersonal skills, building relationships with individuals within the project teams and influencing those around you will be essential to the success of the role
• The ability to communicate appropriate, concise and accurate information in written and verbal format to peers and upwards to senior management.
• Ability to adapt or generate imaginative and innovative cost effective ideas, in line with core Dyson values
• Inquisitive and challenging nature - be prepared to constructively challenge others in order to fully understand an issue or situation. Not accepting assumptions at face value. Willing to challenge the status quo in order to realise benefits