Senior Cost Engineer/ Value Engineer
£Competitive + 27 Days Holiday + Bonus + Pension
Sitting within the Global Cost Team working with Engineering, Operations, Procurement and Finance, you will be responsible for creating, developing and driving forward cost saving ideas across a range of products at Dyson from concept through to production. You will be working closely with procurement, engineering, research and manufacturing engineers bringing to bear your experience and knowledge to challenge and reduce costs with an emphasis on early stage influence on design decisions.
Home to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology). The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Over 1,500 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. From 2016, our HQ will begin doubling its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
Neodymium magnets. Aerospace-grade carbon fibre. PEEK high strength plastic. Just a few of the materials procured to build just one of our machines – the Dyson digital motor V2. But when you design unconventional machines, you need unconventional materials. The Procurement department works directly with RDD on Dyson’s most secret projects. Sourcing high quality materials, and finished components with demanding specifications, means tracking down niche suppliers. It requires tenacity, speed and efficiency to meet project milestones. In essence, we need to be as inventive as Dyson engineers.
- Build ground up costs for new projects currently being developed within NPI and UK NPD.
- Calculate the cost of a product as it progresses through the development cycle. Conduct reviews with Engineering to understand the latest cost risks and potential cost opportunities. Use your experience and knowledge to influence product, assembly and component design within these reviews.
- Represent the Cost Team at project milestone reviews and have a clear understanding of what makes up the product cost. Be able to field questions from this cross-functional team when required and deliver any cost actions arising from these reviews.
- Work with Engineering and Procurement to design and build new cost calculation tools.
- Work closely with Engineering, Operations, Procurement and Finance to agree achievable, but stretching Target costs.
- Develop improvements to the current reports and processes used, making recommendations which help all members of the Cost Team, improving our ability to deliver faster, more accurate cost reporting.
- Reverse engineering of products to a detailed level, creating cost comparison information to guide the NPI teams during the early development of new Dyson technologies (Cost Value Analysis).
- Actively seek out and drive the implementation of cost reduction measures to improve product profitability.
- An engineering degree OR post-graduate engineering qualification, preferably within a costing role.
- Analytical ability demonstrated through previous engineering work.
- Experience of working with and influencing others outside your direct reporting line.
- Tenacity in getting to understand an issue and challenging others in a constructive manner.
- Ability to manage delegate effectively and develop the Cost Analyst reporting into this role.
- Strong communication skills in one-to-one situations, in a team environment and when presenting to senior managers.
- Dyson product/process and design knowledge would be of benefit.
- Specific cost knowledge. What are the drivers of cost and how can we develop and manufacture ‘Lean’ cost products.
- Understanding the roles of engineering, operations, commercial and finance to become a more rounded and effective engineer.
- Demonstrate ability to manage, track and deliver cost reporting.
- Professionalism: focused on delivering within agreed timescales and Leading by example.
- Challenging: not accepting current assumptions at face value. Ensure that all aspects of the cost are challenged.
- Collaborative: build relationships and work well with other Dyson teams.
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.