Senior Design Engineer - NPI - New Category
Home to our global Research, Design and
Development centre and all of our Commercial functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away
in countryside famous for the railway tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel,
who revolutionised modern engineering. Our secluded location helps us to
protect our ideas and stay independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable
cities of Bristol and Bath (where a young James Dyson invented cyclone
The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Over 1,500 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. From 2016, our HQ will begin doubling its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
- Senior Design Engineers could be expected to initiate new product or technology concepts and ideas and identify market or performance opportunities from a blank sheet of paper.
- Take responsibility for creating and owning vision specification and business case for new product concepts, including development budget and running costs.
- Within teams, take a proactive approach in the generation of ideas – host brainstorms, gather research, select and present ideas and concepts to senior management.
- Champion great design to produce products that meet all performance and functional criteria.
- Invent & develop exciting technologies that further the performance of Dyson Floorcare category
- Design reviews with James Dyson and/or Executive, as required.
- Work seamlessly with research teams to utilise the wealth of technical skills in research teams to get best value from Dyson technologies.
- Take an active, hands-on role to ensure that all engineering problems are resolved thoroughly.
- Use established Dyson development processes, good engineering practice and discipline to deliver a fully resolved product assembly to the correct standards.
- Challenge and develop Dyson engineering practices to continuously improve design quality.
- Clear presentation of technical information and supporting documentation to ensure accurate hand over either to other teams within the UK or Far East.
- Communicate between all teams within RDD and Global Operations to ensure effective and timely input.
- Regular design reviews with the Design Manager and Concept Design Director.
- Day to day operational management for allocated Design Engineers/Graduate Design Engineers including performance management, people development and all other line manager responsibilities.
- A degree in a relevant engineering or science discipline or equivalent.
- Technical and personal credibility to work effectively in cross-functional design teams throughout the project development cycle.
- Previous experience designing manufactured products.
- Track record of generating IP in technical discipline
- Knowledge and understanding of multiple tooling and manufacturing techniques.
- Proven experience of delivering robust design solutions on time, to specification and within cost and budget constraints.
- A creative and considered approach to problem solving, following clear design processes.
- Practical and methodical design development through prototyping and testing.
- Ability to plan ahead, prioritise tasks and coordinate with the work of others.
- Good commercial awareness with pragmatic approach to balance cost and value.
- Excellent communication, problem solving and analytical skills
- Self starter - ability to work independently.
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.