Accessories Designer - NPI
You will create innovative, different & exciting accessories for our existing and future products by Interrogating, investigating and proposing packaging and product storage solutions. Working closely with the NPI Director and in close collaboration with the New Product Innovation and Research Design & Development teams in the UK, initiating early concept stage accessories through to design and design development.
Design of the product accessory / storage solution
- You will define the design, layout, material and process for our products with a user centered and ‘best in class’ approach.
- Generate ideas that are both product enhancing and innovative.
Prototyping and Demonstration
- You will be able to bring your ideas and designs to life through sketching, illustration, 3D modeling and physical prototype rigs. (Illustrator, Photoshop, 3D CAD etc.)
- Work with the Model makers to create more complex prototypes.
User trials and insights
- Utilising user trial options when necessary to make a decision or validate a design.
- Working cross functionally with those responsible for insights, user trials and competitor analysis.
- You will work closely with product design counterparts to create a seamless experience of the product / accessory.
- Working with NPI / NPD category teams, insights, commercial, mechanistics and SEA.
- A key part of this role is to clearly communicate complex information in many different formats such as graphical and verbal presentations, PowerPoint and interactive prototype demo’s.
- This role will require leadership and management of those in other departments and within the team, ensuring that we are operating at the highest level and that each individual team are operating in the most effective way.
- Degree qualified in either fashion / accessory design, product / industrial design, engineering, a science discipline or equivalent.
- Self-driven and hands on 2D and 3D designer with ability to work independently.
- Technical credibility with an ability to work effectively in cross-functional design teams throughout the project development cycle.
- Actively interested in new materials & fabrics.
- Excellent product focused design skills such as layout, graphics, sketching, prototyping along with problem solving and analytical skills.
- Preferable Software Tools: Illustrator, Photoshop, InDesign, 3D CAD would be an advantage although not essential.
- Strong communication and presentation skills both verbally and visually.
- Comfortable with ‘failure’ in the context of multiple iterations of testing and learning.
- Highly motivated and collaborative, taking ownership of projects and at the same time being objective and responsive to feedback.
- Possess a good understanding of various production processes & how they influence design and fabrication.
- Able to find alternative solutions under pressure.
- Ability to analyse concepts and design from the user’s perspective.
- A creative and considered approach to problem solving, following clear design processes.
- Practical and methodical design development through prototyping and testing.
- Ability to plan ahead, prioritise tasks and coordinate with the work of others.
- Good commercial awareness with a pragmatic approach to balance cost and value.
- Ability to travel if required.