PMST Lead - Seating
Competitive + benefits
Malmesbury is tucked away in countryside famous for the landmarks of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. A charming Wiltshire market town doesn’t sound like the place to develop world leading technology, but it’s just right for us. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent–minded.
As part of the £2.5 billion investment, Dyson acquired a 517 acre plot in Hullavington. This former Royal Air Force base, just five miles from Dyson HQ, will increase our UK footprint tenfold. We’ll be turning old hangars into futuristic labs and workspaces – creating a campus to rival those in Silicon Valley.
We’ve begun work on a battery electric vehicle – that’s no secret. It has remained our ambition to solve the worldwide problem of air pollution for nearly 30 years. Now that we have the ability to bring all our technologies together into a single product, we’re able to solve this problem at the source.
For now, it’s all about finding the right people to make it all happen for 2020
• Delivery of seating from initial concept through to production.
• Team Management / Supervision / recruitment and mentoring.
• Champion great design to produce seating that meets all performance and functional criteria.
• Applying problem solving techniques to support the vision specification for new product concepts.
• Participate and lead brainstorms and gather research to support new product concepts.
• Work with research teams to integrate and develop new technology research into final design.
• Take an active, hands-on role to ensure that all engineering problems are resolved.
• Use established development processes, good engineering practice and discipline to deliver robust design solutions to agreed timescales.
• Communicate cross functionally to ensure effective and timely input.• Prepare for (and participate in when required) design reviews with Design Managers and Concept Design Director / James Dyson and/or Executive, as required.
• Degree Qualified within a relevant Automotive / Engineering discipline.
• Specialist in seating – experience overseeing full lifecycle from concept to production.
• Proven project management experience demonstrated by recent delivery, on time & to budget.
• Proven track record of managing resource. • Experience in mechanical engineering, mechanisms, structures.
• Experience of safety systems and their interaction with seating.
• Understanding of electrical interfaces.
• Experience of supplier management with Tier 1 or Tier 2 suppliers.
• Proven ability to communicate through 2D & 3D media such as sketching, CAD, model making, surface modelling.
• Sound knowledge manufacturing techniques, engineering standards, International regulations and Requirements: DFM, Validation, PLM, DFMEA etc
• Understanding of CAE development and safety systems in relation to seating
• A good balance of practical and theoretical skills; calculations from first principles; prototype rig building and industry test methods to analyse the design. Person specification • Self-starter - ability to work independently.
• Technical and personal credibility to work effectively with other teams in RDD.
• Ability to plan ahead, prioritise tasks and coordinate.
• Excellent communication, problem solving and analytical skills.
• A creative and considered approach to problem solving, adhering to clear design processes.
• A good people leader
• Works well in a pressurised environment