Senior Embedded Electronics Engineer
All sub-systems within the motor and power system will require embedded electronics, ranging from communication through to hardware only protection / supervision and LV power supply design. To begin to accommodate this, a Senior Embedded Electronics Engineer is required.
Reporting to the Power Electronics Manager, you will join a growing team of Embedded Electronics engineers responsible for designing hardware covering a wide range of disciplines. Detailed hardware design in both analogue and digital fields will be core to this job role; as will producing software to exercise hardware and produce prototype rigs to allow detailed system testing.
A successful applicant will be expected to review relevant papers, patents and meet with companies to keep informed of emerging technology and develop roadmaps, then use this knowledge to create imaginative and inventive solutions.
Additional responsibilities include:
- Working with team members over a range of disciplines to provide technical input relating to system and sub-system architectures, for example the split between software and hardware functionality.
- Take technical responsibility for the embedded electronics content of that system / sub-system. This may expand to the responsibility for multiple, small concurrent sub-system designs, supported by a number of team members each reporting to the Power Electronics Manager.
- Creation and management of requirement specifications
- Develop the solution, prove key technologies and demonstrate designs are robust, cost effective and fit for purpose for a high volume manufacture environment, through detailed laboratory testing, simulation and analysis.
- Undertake the thermal management design of electronics systems (with support from specialist thermal engineers).
- Ensure that designs comply with relevant EMC/EMI standards and modify designs where needed.
- Design verification and validation testing
- Assist in the personal development of junior team members.
Whilst the Embedded Electronics team is responsible for supporting products at initial design stages; a key focus for any successful applicant will be the ability to support the complete design cycle from researching early stage technology initiatives and looking at ways of incorporating these technologies through the testing and validation to the start of production and beyond.
Education and experience:
- Minimum BEng/MEng degree in Electronic Engineering or other relevant discipline with a demonstrable level of industrial experience in a relevant industry.
Minimum technical knowledge:
Applicants should have experience in the following areas:
Digital hardware design:
Excellent general knowledge of microprocessors, preferably including multi-MCU products
Knowledge of a wide range of interfaces including I2C, SPI, UART, USB.
Analogue hardware design:
Experience of analogue amplification, conditioning/filter circuitry
Design of OP-AMP stages such as differential amplifiers, integrators etc
Power supply hardware
Linear regulator hardware design
Design of switch mode power supplies (e.g. up to 250W) is desirable
Experience of C/C++ programming for embedded systems
Assembly software experience and mixed C and Assembly experience is desirable.
Other key technical experience essential to the role:
- Design Tools:
- Design Techniques:
- Circuit simulation and design tolerance analysis
- Robust design including FMEA techniques
- Design for high volume manufacture
- Both low and high voltage DC equipment
- PCB layout – size/cost minimisation while achieving layouts for inherently good EMC compliance and thermal design.
- Development of test platforms using LabView.
- Proven experience of systems engineering using such tools as UML/SysML, Enterprise Architect, Harmony
- Schematic capture using Altium Designer, Mentor Graphics or other main stream tools
- Use of SPICE based simulation tools such as Simetrix
- Design calculation tools such as Mathcad, Matlab, Excel