Senior Engineer - Psychoacoustics
£Competitive + Bonus, Pension, 27 Days Holiday
Reporting into the Principal Scientist Product Mechanistics lead in the UK, you will sit within a team of other specialists covering all facets of consumer behaviour & product experience. You will be responsible for developing and leading capability integration of perception and psychoacoustics techniques, enabling the definition and measurement of critical consumer interaction cues for Dyson products.
Dyson is a fast paced environment with high demands on quality and novel innovation. It is known for its fresh approach to Design. The successful candidate needs to thrive under pressure and be able to deftly juggle priorities and flex to the dynamic and agile environment that comes with this creative setting.
The Product Mechanistics team are the lynch pin between all other functions driving most action at the front end of innovation; setting the benefit strategy and defining the white space opportunity for USPs across a number of categories. Critically, this team set the right technical measures and work packages to qualify a product and by going beyond diagnosis of specific behavioural symptoms they are able to drive a long term platform for desired product experience that inspires Dyson technologists & Designers to step change performance.
This role requires a broad knowledge of research methodologies across the Product Mechanistic disciplines (Visual, Acoustics, Ergonomics, Flow Comfort, Sensory and Psychology) with a proven track record of turning acoustic perception cues into product performance indicators in a number of different categories.
- Lead and implement complex and multi-stage research projects demonstrating a high degree of technical skills.
- Understand, interpret and model multiple outputs of data (qualitative and quantitative) to deliver clear, actionable results and recommendations that enable product innovation and development.
- Collaborate with Marketing, Consumer Insights and Product Quality Insights to deliver best in class research approaches maximising learning potential and ensuring project continuity.
- Support the Product Mechanistics Principal Scientist Lead in implementing and role modelling best in class methodologies.
- Contribute to the development of the Product Mechanistics strategy plans.
- Provide technical coaching and guidance to the Product Mechanistics team with the ability to adapt their approach for all levels from Graduate to Senior Scientists and Engineers.
- Demonstrable, hands on Product Design experience in psychoacoustics with a strong knowledge across qualitative and quantitative research methodologies and analysis, including qualitative moderating experience
- Must have a statistical understanding, strong working knowledge of statistical software and the ability to apply statistical output to projects.
- Experience leading and implementing multi-stage research projects
- Strong experience with understanding and interpreting multiple outputs of data
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.