Test Software Engineer
At Dyson we are encouraged to think differently, challenge convention and be unafraid to make mistakes. We’re creative, collaborative, practical and enthusiastic. But most of all we’re hugely passionate about what we do.
Dyson offers a unique opportunity for talented individuals to invent, design and develop market leading products for the global market. By working in our world class Research Design and Development department, these individuals have the opportunity to work alongside leading technical specialists and highly motivated creative people, to create products which fulfil our ambition of being truly different and better than our competitors.
The Senior Engineer will work within the Design & Build Research team to apply their skills and experience to lead the invention and development of testing solutions that enhance the company’s technical advantage in future products. He/she will drive research projects from initial conception, through the various technology readiness levels, and finally into solutions which can be transferred to other extents of the business. As a Senior member of the team, the successful candidate will also be expected to use their experience to mentor and technically advise the junior team members, and to implement new ideas to help in the continuous improvement of the team’s research capability.
to our global Research, Design and Development centre and all of our Commercial
functions, Dyson HQ is tucked away in countryside famous for the railway
tunnels and bridges of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering.
Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay
independent-minded. Yet nearby are the fashionable cities of Bristol and Bath
(where a young James Dyson invented cyclone technology).
The building is the heartbeat of Dyson. Over 1,500 people, including James himself, spend their days strategizing, inventing technology and telling the Dyson story to the world. From 2016, our HQ will begin doubling its footprint with an ambitious new expansion.
It takes real ingenuity to find new ways of doing things. Smarter technologies. Lighter, stronger materials. And quieter, cleaner power systems. Our Research & Science teams – scientists, mechanical engineers and specialists across each of product category – are the experimenters and risk-takers behind Dyson problem-solving. Whether it’s in-house development, sourcing outside technology partners, or driving collaboration with partner universities, we lead the way in finding the next generation of Dyson technology. Which is why anyone can find themselves presenting to James Dyson himself.
work with test engineers to lead the development of specifications and concepts
for new test rigs and upgrades to existing rigs
• To deliver these as robust, integrated programming solutions which are able to control test rigs, capture data and output analysis.
• To develop LabVIEW software with methodical architecture to provide future proof solutions.
• Commission test rig solutions as part of a cross-functional team.
• Technical mentoring of more junior engineers to develop overall capability of the team (may also include line management as required).
Generate innovative concepts for new technologies.
• Identify improved experimental test programmes to evaluate technologies.
• Identify potential research areas which would benefit from new technology development.
• Present concepts to James Dyson and the Exec. team, when required.
Extensive knowledge and proven experience in LabVIEW, control &
measurement software development
• Deep knowledge or proven experience of control and instrumentation electronics, including; PLC controllers and National instruments hardware.
• Degree qualified (or equivalent) in a relevant Engineering, Software or Science background – BEng, MEng or similar.
• A proven track record of the use of the LabVIEW development kit. Desirable experience may also include CAD tools (Preferably NX) in real-wold applications.
• Proven ability to work effectively both individually and in a team environment.
• Proven ability to communicate through 2 and 3 dimensional media, e.g. sketching, CAD, model making.
• Excellent analytical and problem solving ability, capable of logically assessing options using a variety of methods and statistical tools.
• Persistent nature, inquisitive attitude and results driven.
• Creative and product focussed ability to generate numerous concepts for new technologies
• Very good organisational skills - able to plan ahead and to prioritise tasks and co-ordinate with the work of others.
• Have a good understanding of core engineering test procedures and equipment. Able to specify experimental programmes and effectively analyse results, summarise findings and make recommendations.
• Excellent communication and presentation skills. Able to translate and communicate technical information to project/research teams, managers and directors when required.