Senior HR Business Partner
Dyson is a global technology company with a unique philosophy - to solve problems that others ignore. It transforms every category it enters with radical and iconic re-inventions that work, perform and look very different.
Three years ago 80% of Dyson’s business was full-sized vacuum cleaners. Today, its digital motor powers cordless vacuums, robots, hand dryers, bladeless fans, humidifiers and purifiers, and has enabled our growth in 75 countries around the world. 2015 saw the addition of Jake Dyson Light to the portfolio, and in April 2016 Dyson took its biggest leap yet, revolutionising the world of health and personal care with the launch of the Dyson Supersonic™ Hairdryer.
Dyson is rapidly expanding; in its new and core categories, and across all of its global markets. The next four years are going to be Dyson’s biggest and busiest yet. By 2020, there will be 100 new machines, 4 new product portfolios and Dyson’s headcount will have doubled. With this pace of growth, these ambitious plans, and the complexities of global expansion, it is natural that Dyson is now thinking about the best ways to organise itself and manage its exciting new product ranges to best effect.
Dyson’s culture is unique; dynamic, inventive, technology-obsessed and decidedly un-corporate. The mindset is geared to constant change and Dyson’s pace brings constant challenge. It’s not easy or comfortable, but it’s this way of working that drives performance. Dyson suits people with the courage and resilience to find their own way, spotting opportunities where others don’t, and having the self-belief to persevere where others give up. “Good enough” isn’t good enough. Experiences are more important than experience. And attitude counts as much as aptitude.
Senior HR Business Partners at Dyson play an important role in facilitating and leading strategic change across their functional area. Reporting to the divisional HR Director, you will provide effective business partnering to senior leadership teams and key stakeholders (including Exec members), driving and facilitating long-term objectives and short-term deliverables. You will play an integral part in driving the people agenda, supporting organisation development to ensure the right roles, capabilities and commitment are in place to deliver against our ambitious strategy, and developing strategies that grow the contribution and performance of functional expertise globally.
You will have one or two HR Advisors as direct reports who you will support, coach and develop to deliver the stretching agenda. Effective collaboration with the Centres of Expertise (recruitment, talent and reward), HR Operations team and HR colleagues globally is important to its success.
• Senior partnering – work in collaboration with the leader of your function and other senior leaders in their teams. Provide support, coaching and challenge to deliver actions that’ll drive people and organisation performance, including development of their own leadership.
• People plans – Develop and integrate the people dimension into business plans and support delivery of the global People Blueprint. Highlight the implications of business goals and ensure plans in place to tackle risks, challenges and opportunities over the short and long term. Ensure the right capabilities, frameworks and ways of working are in place to deliver
• Organisation design – Spot opportunities, review and reshape how the functions are set up and operate, to support their growth and increasing global effectiveness at sensible costs.
• Change leadership – Support/oversee/lead transformation, restructuring or cultural change projects as needed.
• Talent acquisition - Work with Centres of Expertise to ensure effective hiring strategies; ensure teams are recruiting for the future as well as the now; and build the Dyson employer brand globally.
• Talent development - Work with the Centres of Expertise and leadership teams to implement initiatives to spot and develop future leadership talent.
• Talent movement and succession plans – Provide the framework and facilitate talent moves and succession, both within the UK based team and across global functional talent pools. Ensure key roles are resourced with great talent, future leaders developed, career paths/aspirations supported, and succession/capability risks understood and managed.
• Performance management – Develop and champion high performance culture across yoru function. Coach, influence, up-skill and encourage senior leaders to provide clear direction, and line managers to provide continuous goal clarity, feedback and development.
• Core HR service - Ensure quality, customer focused, pragmatic and efficient HR support is in place across all client areas.
• HR leadership - contribute to progress of the overall people agenda and relish the opportunity to pick up new activities that fall broadly in the purpose of the role.
• Degree calibre; high HR professional credentials.
• You will have previous experience as a true HR generalist where you have provided both operational and strategic HR support to a business in a global, matrixed organisation.
• HR partnering experience at a senior level - typically supporting professional client groups (who enjoy logic, process and detail) with past experience of engaging and influencing senior and challenging stakeholders.
• Strong change leadership experience - has provided frameworks, influence and challenge to senior teams to identify and drive through organisation change in a variety of scenarios
• Experienced at working with speed, pragmatism and professionalism, ideally in an entrepreneurial culture.
• Line Management experience desirable.
Competencies & skills
• Highly credible and professional with senior stakeholders, with immediate positive impact. Intellectually agile, quick thinking and articulate.
• Strategic HR thinking: has clear business acumen and passion, and is able to develop and articulate an HR/OD agenda that’ll drive positive outcomes.
• Open, practical and pragmatic. Able to balance a high volume of conflicting priorities and works with energy and pace.
• Great relationship builder: connects effectively across a range of senior professional leaders and personalities, and can works effectively across boundaries and networks.
• A confident and shrewd influencer who reads when and how to gain commitment of others. Can stand own ground but also be flexible as needed to serve the ‘bigger picture’.
• Great delivery management: happy to get stuck in to the detail, creates energy and mobilises others (with and without direct line authority) to deliver against goals and projects, ensuring work is completed efficiently and effectively.
• Results driven. Tenacious and determined to get things done in the face of ambiguity and even opposition; and inspires others to do the same.
• Resilient and tough; bounces back when knocked.
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidised café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines