Senior Health and Safety Advisor
£37,000 - 45,000 + Benefits
Responsible for executing all health and safety tasks in accordance with Dyson policy under the guidance of the Health & Safety Manager, throughout Dyson’s UK sites. This will span a variety of property types and locations, but will focus predominantly on the UK headquarters at Malmesbury. Working alongside, and in support of, the other key estates leaders including the Estates Manager, Senior Project Manager, Building Services Manager and the Facilities Manager, this role will involve extensive stakeholder interaction and liaison.
Dyson is rapidly expanding; in its new and core categories, and across all of its global markets. The next four years are going to be Dyson’s biggest and busiest yet. By 2020, we'll be hitting £4 billion in revenue. We'll have brought in 5,000 more people. And we'll have launched a further four brand new product categories. With this pace of growth, these ambitious plans, and the complexities of global expansion, it is natural that Dyson is now thinking about the best ways to organise itself and manage its exciting new product ranges to best effect.
Dyson, whether at the headquarters in Malmesbury or globally, is growing at a rapid pace, and the estates team need to not only anticipate this growth, but also ensure that both new and existing properties are set up, operated and maintained to the expected standard. To create this positive and progressive working environment the estates team needs expertise in key areas – Health & Safety within the Estates Management function is one of these areas.
Working with the other members of the Health & Safety Team to assist in developing the health, safety and wellbeing culture of Dyson through:-
- Improving and updating the health and safety arrangements at Dyson.
- Ensuring that current practices of employees and contractors meet best practice and legal compliance.
- Providing practical advice and guidance to staff to ensure that they are able to carry out their tasks and activities in a safe manner.
- Making employees at all levels aware of their responsibilities with respect to health and safety.
- Developing training programmes that meet the current and future needs of employees.
- Monitoring of processes and carrying out audits of sites, teams and/or contractors.
- Ensuring that risk assessments are appropriate to the situation and are implemented effectively.
- Assisting Functions within the Group to develop and progress their health and safety structures, including Health & Safety Committee Meetings, Safety Representatives and Fire Marshals.
- Developing effective communication methods across UK.
- Investigating accidents/incidents, implementing appropriate control measures and reporting to the HSE where necessary.
- Liaising with enforcing authorises as necessary, for example Health & Safety Executive and Fire Authority.
- Working within the Health & Safety Team on other projects/topics as appropriate to the needs of the team.
- Working with the Health & Safety Manager and Health & Safety Advisers to ensure the Health and Safety SharePoint site is kept up to date and documentations are updated accordingly.
- Supporting the Health & Safety Manager in developing and manging the Health & Safety Advisers within the Group function.
- Line management responsibility within the Group area of the Health & Safety Team.
- Undertaking other responsibilities associated with managing health and safety in its broadest sense which may arise from time to time.
- Qualifications; to hold Chartered or working towards Chartered membership status with a professional body such as IOSH.
- As a minimum to hold Graduate Status of IOSH or equivalent.
- To have at least 5 years’ experience as a generalist Health & Safety Adviser.
- Experience of interpretation and application of relevant legislation.
- Experience in influencing, motivating and managing others.
- Familiarity and confidence with IT packages such as Microsoft.
Disposition & Attributes
- Good communicator; ability to convey health and safety issues concisely and accurately.
- Excellent interpersonal skills; ability to build productive working relationships and influence staff at all levels.
- Good analytical skills; to be able to assess problems thoroughly and drive logical conclusions.
- Confident; comfortable with interacting with senior executives where necessary.
- Credible; ability to demonstrate a level of expertise in health and safety in order to gain stakeholder confidence.
- Assertive; prepared to take action where required.
- Ability to deliver training in a clear and concise manner with confidence.
- Efficient and able to work independently to tight deadlines.
- Ability to manage the multiple, and somethings conflicting, demands of the role whilst ensuring successful delivery.
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you’ll also enjoy a profit-related bonus, generous leave and life insurance. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.