Senior Legal Counsel - Automotive Lead
The role requires a technically excellent and pro-active lawyer to take on the newly created position as the lead Legal Counsel for Dyson’s electric car project. The role will be responsible for managing a more junior team member, and building a legal support function for Dyson’s electric vehicle project as Dyson accelerates into an exciting future.
The role will report into the Head of Legal for Group Services and provides an excellent opportunity to develop your skills and contribution as part of a dynamic and ambitious in-house legal team working on cutting edge technology.
Dyson HQ is home to over 3,500 people who work across a medley of engineering and commercial functions. The award-winning campus has three cafes, a sports centre and a number of engineering icons including our Harrier and Lightning jets – one of which hangs from the ceiling of our café. Based in Malmesbury, the campus is within easy reach of both the Cotswolds and cities like Bath and Bristol along the M4 corridor.
Dyson learnt an early lesson in the value of legal might, winning a gruelling battle against Hoover when it infringed our early cyclone technology patents. Our in-house legal teams have been at the forefront of Dyson ever since.
- Build strong relationships with Dyson’s electric vehicle team across all levels and functions, from design managers to engineers to procurement
- Provide day to day management of a junior lawyer and provide development, support and performance management
- Collaborate with fellow leaders (both within the legal department and in the business) to devise efficient strategies for the provision of legal services to Dyson’s electric vehicle project that are fit for future growth and match Dyson’s blueprint for success
- Provide expert, ethical and pragmatic advice and support on commercial and contract issues across the business, helping the business navigate complex issues with an output and delivery focus
- Proactively identify arising risk areas and work with the business to develop risk mitigation solutions
- Ensure that the service is responsive to client requirements and that work undertaken is reflective of best practice
- Draft and negotiate contracts with suppliers
- Support tender processes across the new supply base for Dyson’s electric vehicle project
- Provide input into contract control processes and reviewing and maintaining precedent documents
- At least 5 years’ post qualification experience in a commercial role;
- Experience in the automotive industry, whether at an OEM or within the automotive supply chain and with previous in-house exposure;
- People management experience;
- A sound understanding of all aspects of commercial law and an ability to apply that knowledge pragmatically in a business environment;
- Strong drafting skills and extensive experience of contract negotiation;
- Good awareness of the role of the legal function in a large business and have the ability to contribute actively in the taking of key business decisions;
- Comfort with autonomy and willingness to challenge the status quo;
- Confidence and technical ability to be able to deal with issues outside your experience and the ability to learn quickly on the job;
- Experience or interest in design and engineering and an aptitude to learn to understand technical discussions;
- The confidence and gravitas to challenge decisions and actions when required;
- Ability to adeptly manage change, expansion and project management
- 27 days holiday plus eight statutory bank holidays
- Pension scheme
- Performance related bonus
- Life assurance
- Sport centre
- Free on-site parking
- Subsidized café and restaurants
- Discounts on Dyson machines