Senior Marketing Manager, Personal Care/Beauty
Starting salary will be based on experience and credentials
We are on the lookout for experienced and highly skilled marketing individuals who thrive in a challenging environment, are passionate about technology products and apply the latest marketing methods to their commercial marketing strategies.
Dyson landed in the US in 2002 and within 24 months our technology was market share leader. Our bustling HQ is based in the historic Montgomery Ward Building, overlooking the Chicago River. A few hours down the road in Aurora, our dedicated US Customer Care team now numbers 250 people. And in total, there are over 600 Dyson people working across the US in multiple functions.
But Dyson US is still growing. It’s poised to double its footprint and take on new categories. Already a target for our competitors, challenging times are ahead. And our battle-hungry US team is truly fired up.
Bringing brand new technology to life – and to the world – requires inventive marketing. Clarity of message. Vast reach and engagement in more innovative ways. Working closely with our engineers, our marketeers develop powerful claims through scientific research. And from traditional channels to cutting-edge events, retail experiences, social media and PR, we seize every chance to tell the Dyson story.
Develop and execute clear and compelling marketing plans within Personal Care, which will drive incremental sales growth, share gains and positive brand attributes
- Work with finance and Marketing Leadership to develop project P&L. Follow monthly reporting cycle to review, understand, report and communicate with Category Director and Sales Directors.
- Work with media agency and Category Director to create and implement supporting media plan.
- Follow monthly reporting cycle to review, understand, report and communicate with Category Director and Sales Directors.
- Develop innovative and non-traditional ways to go to market to support brand objectives.
- Work with strategy and finance partners to develop long-term vision and growth for category.
- Work with internal marketing partners to develop effective brand communications including TV, print, retail, digital etc.
- Collaborate with internal and external partners to execute go-to-market plans including new product launches, advertising creative, media planning, public relations, in-store execution, point of sale, promotions etc.
- Work effectively with the Global team to ensure that there is alignment wherever possible and sensible.
- Deliver against P&L goals and objectives.
- Conduct routine business analysis including weekly and monthly business reviews and recommendations, as well as ad-hoc analyses of opportunities, best practices, customers and strategy.
- Emphasize the importance of KPI measurement, tracking and timely reporting of marketing activity on weekly, monthly and quarterly basis with post-mortem reporting
- Forecast volume for new product introductions; monitor sell-in and sell-through to meet and/or react to business needs.
- Directly partner with National Account Managers and/or Sales Directors to maximize and support retailer opportunities and activations.
Manage all aspects of bringing new products and technology to market to ensure successful launches
- Be the internal champion for the product.
- Work with sales partners to develop and activate range plans, marketing plans and trade activation and drive retailer compliance in stores.
- Drive organizational training to ensure internal understanding and advocacy of the technology.
- Partner with Retail team to develop and deliver sales presentations and materials to ensure retail success.
- Partner with Retail team to track and analyze in-market implementation.
- Evaluate ROI of marketing campaigns and adjust plans as necessary.
Own and drive the category against budget
- Partner with Finance to lead the annual marketing planning and budgeting process for assigned category.
- Manage the category budget including brand building and retail marketing investments and plans throughout the year.
- Provide monthly insight into the business forecasting cycle including appropriate volume forecasting and business trends.
- Manage processes and remove barriers to ensure that the team is as effective as possible to meet business goals.
- Identify gaps in knowledge and skills in the team and build appropriate training solutions
Fulfill other duties as required
- Relish the opportunities to pick up new activities that fall broadly in the purpose of the role.
- Fix things that need fixing.
- Identify problems and find solutions.
- Understand and keep up knowledge on beauty trends with premium brand experience.
- Entrepreneurial spirit- must be able to deal with ambiguity and willing to take risks as needed.
- Be passionate about the product- this person needs to be passionate about Dyson, technology and engineering.
- Project management skills- this person must be able to manage budgets and deadlines – and plan, achieve and evaluate results individually and through others.
- Ability to travel occasionally as required.
- Bachelor’s Degree required; preferably in Marketing, Advertising or Business Administration. MBA preferred.
- 7+ years strategic brand marketing/ management experience required, at least 2 of which must be in a manager level role; evidence of consistent progression in responsibility required.
- Preferably with beauty industry-related experience; hair category or professional distribution experience a plus.
- A CPG background is strongly preferred but would be open to non-traditional CPG experience such as electronics, beauty, lifestyle marketing experience, specifically with an understanding of the premium / luxury market.
- Experience managing P&L, media and budget required.
- Strategic thinking; this person must demonstrate the ability to take a wide view.
- Must be able to create, execute and manage a sound marketing plan.
- Influencing skills; this person will have the ability to lead cross functionally and influence up, down and across the business.
- Problem Solving; must be able to critically analyze data and tackle problems and present viable solutions.
- Team player; able to manage and motivate people, this person is able to build strong relationships with a wide range of people (across all Dyson markets). This person works cooperatively across the business and puts the good of the business above their own career interests.
- Strong communication skills; this person is able to present information (both written and oral) clearly and concisely. This person needs to be able to communicate clearly at all levels within an organization.
- Creativity; this person needs to guide and challenge a team responsible for managing a dynamic brand. They need to be open to new ideas, adventurous and practical simultaneously.
- Flexibility; this person will need to adaptable, be open to taking on more and have the ability to adapt plans and direction as the business indicates.
- Dynamic, and proactive personality with the ability to perform impactful presentations
- Solid analytic abilities. Proven expertise in problem solving and multiple project management
- Good organization and prioritization skills required
- Strong PC skills in Word, Excel and Power Point
- Ingenious - An innovative yet objective thinker
- Explorer - Demonstrates a ‘can do’ / entrepreneurial attitude
- Shrewd - Ability to deliver projects in full, on time and to the highest quality
- Fighter – Driven to get the best result. Challenges themselves and others
- Architect- A leader; sets direction, provides clarity, sets standards, measures, motivates and inspires