Senior Mechanical Engineer
Competitive Salary + 27 Days Holiday, Pension, Bonus
This role sits within the Motors, Powers and Electronic Systems Research team within our Automotive function.
Malmesbury is tucked away in countryside famous for the landmarks of Isambard Brunel, who revolutionised modern engineering. A charming Wiltshire market town doesn’t sound like the place to develop world leading technology, but it’s just right for us. Our secluded location helps us to protect our ideas and stay independent–minded.
As part of the £2.5 billion investment, Dyson acquired a 517 acre plot in Hullavington. This former Royal Air Force base, just five miles from Dyson HQ, will increase our UK footprint tenfold. We’ll be turning old hangars into futuristic labs and workspaces – creating a campus to rival those in Silicon Valley.
We’ve begun work on a battery electric vehicle – that’s no secret. It has remained our ambition to solve the worldwide problem of air pollution for nearly 30 years. Now that we have the ability to bring all our technologies together into a single product, we’re able to solve this problem at the source. For now, it’s all about finding the right people to make it all happen for 2020.
Reporting to the Mechanical Research Manager, you will join a growing team of mechanical engineers in Dyson’s Strategy & Research Group focussing on the next generation of advanced / high performance electric motors for low cost/high volume domestic/commercial applications.
- Stretch the boundaries of speed, power density and efficiency in electric motor systems in a number of different applications.
- Have the ability to understand the overall product concept and contribute significantly to the design of the product through the use of expert knowledge of the latest technologies / methods in the industry. Meet target specifications such as cost, size, weight and efficiency within the planned timeline of each research project.
- Deliver mechanical solutions that are reliable and fit for purpose in order to satisfy life requirements, help achieve product guarantee periods and comply with all relevant International Standards.
- Generate innovative solutions with strong & high value IP for Dyson products.
- Work closely with other engineering disciplines to ensure that the product performance, reliability and cost expectations are met, all within the planned timeline of the project.
- Communicate clearly and effectively the results and project status to a broad spectrum of associated project members and senior management.
- Have the ability to assess and handle supplier relationships, undertaking technical and commercial negotiations, maintaining confidence in BoM and assembly costs throughout a project .
- Create plans and manage your own time using planning tools such as Microsoft Project and make sure this is integrated into the overall project plan.
- Minimum BEng/MEng degree (2:1 degree or better) in Mechanical Engineering or equivalent with a demonstrable level of industrial experience in the design and development of mechanical systems.
- Expert knowledge of the analysis of mechanical systems, including Finite Element techniques.
- Ability to develop mathematics based models for performance prediction, design and analysis
- Sound knowledge of rotordynamic analysis techniques and tools
- Experience in a broad range of bearing technologies including but not limited to rolling element
- Ability to use 3D computer aided design (CAD) software packages
- Strong technical expertise with extensive breadth and depth covering materials selection (including composites), design for fatigue and fracture mechanics, high speed rolling element bearing applications, thermal assessment and development of calculation / simulation methods & tools
- Appreciation of other engineering disciplines such aerodynamics, thermodynamics, and electrical, electronics and electromagnetic systems
- Ability to specify system components to ensure conformance with engineering design and performance specifications.
- DFMEA, failure analysis/problem solving capability
- Ability to devise lab based measurement techniques and have a strong command of analysis software and equipment for component and system level characterisation and validation
- Ability to work across a number of different projects and platforms simultaneously
- Strong “design-for-manufacture” mentality to deliver low cost, high volume, high performance and reliable mechanical system solutions
- Strong knowledge of manufacturing techniques of parts (moulding / machining) and common issues with these plus experience in automated assembly techniques
- Appreciation of complying to national, European and Worldwide regulations and legislation
Dyson monitors the market to ensure competitive salaries and pension contributions. Beyond that, you will be invited to join the company bonus scheme, get 27 days annual leave and you’ll qualify for life assurance. You will also have access to our free on-site gym with regular fitness classes (subject to membership availability) and two on-site cafés which cater to a variety of tastes. But financial benefits are only the start of a Dyson career. Rapid professional growth, leadership development and new opportunities abound, driven by regular reviews and dynamic workshops. And with a vibrant culture, flexible working hours, the latest devices and a relaxed dress code reflecting our engineering spirit, it’s an exciting team environment geared to creativity, innovation and ambition.